Chapter 19

{The Next Morning}

~Darius POV~

Eber's with Raine and the others. He and I agreed not to tell anyone about last night. We'll figure something out soon and no one needs to worry about us. It's better that way.

I knocked on the Blight's front door.

"The door's unlocked." Mr. Blight called.

I went inside.

"Hi, Mr. Blight." I said.

"Hello. Here to get Alador for his birthday?" Mr. Blight said. "He's in his room."

I nodded and went over towards the hall.

"Is that a bruise on your cheek?" He asked alarmed, before I got out of the room.

"Hm? Oh, uh, yeah. I...tripped and hit my face on a...chair." I lied.

He nodded slowly. I went and knocked on Alador's bedroom door.

"Don't come in! I'm changing!" Alador shoute

After a minute, Alador opened the door. Ben was sitting on his head.

"Darius. What are you doing here?" Alador asked. "Did I forget a date or plans or something?"

"It's your birthday." I said.

"It's my what?" He said.

I smiled.

"Your birthday. Your eighteenth birthday." I said. "Did you forget, Surdoué?"

"Yeah, I did." He admitted.

"You always forget your birthday." I said.

"I know. At least you remember. You remind me." He said.

He gave me a concerned look.

"Is that a bruise on-" He started.

"I fell and hit my face on a chair. I'm okay. Now don't worry about it. Just pretend it isn't there." I said. "Come on. Today is supposed to be fun."

He nodded, less concerned after my explanation. He cast a healing spell then gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.

"...what are we doing today? I don't remember making plans." Alador said.

"Something fun." I said. "Come on, Cutie."

{An Hour And A Half Later}

I took Alador to see a movie as a distraction. It just let out. I checked the time. Perfect. Just in time.

"Come on. There's something a few blocks away." I told Alador.

"What?" Alador asked.

"You'll see." I said and grabbed his hand. "It's a surprise."

I led him down the road. He nervously squeezed my hand then grabbed my arm instead.

"You're acting like I'm leading you to the conformitorium." I said.

"I don't like surprises. They make me anxious." He admitted. "Uncertainty is not my favorite thing."

"I know but you'll love this one. It'll be fun. I promise." I assured him.

He squeezed my arm.

"It's safe." I said. "Fun but safe."

That's a lie. I have no clue if it's safe.

We got to a house and Alador calmed down enough to let go of my arm. I led him inside.

"Surprise! Happy birthday!" Eda, Lilith, Raine, and Porter shouted jumping out from their respective hiding places.

Eber jumped and tried to climb from his hiding spot but it was too high for him little legs. Raine got him out.

Alador looked absolutely shocked.

"You guys threw me a birthday party? It's amazing! You guys are amazing!" He said after about a minute.

{Several Hours Later}

Everyone's slowly left since it got late. Ben, Ace, and Eber fell asleep an hour ago. Alador came over to me.

"That was so much fun! This is probably the best birthday I've ever had!" Alador told me. "Thank you so much!"

"Don't thank me. It was Eda's idea." I said. "Next time you see her, thank her."

"I will." He said. "I will."

I ruffled his hair and he laughed.

"Oh, I forgot to give this to you earlier." I said, taking the small gift box from the pocket inside my cape and handing the gift box to him. "Happy birthday, Surdoué."

He opened it and grinned. He took out the pair of goggles.

"Since you always get abomination slime in your eyes while you're working." I told him.

"Thank you. I love them." He said.

He put them on then pushed them up on his head.

"I'll keep them on, even when I'm not working on anything." He said.

He gave me a quick kiss.

"Glad you like your gift." I said.

He nodded, a stupid grin plastered on his face.

"You're adorable." I told him cupping his face in my hand. "Even if you're still wearing that filthy uniform."

"It's been washed." He rolled his eyes.

"Recently?" I asked.

"Yes." He crossed his arms. "Yesterday to be exact."

"Alright. You win this time, Cutie." I replied.

{A Week Later}

Eda, Lilith, and I had grudgby practice. Afterwards, Lilith had to run to her study group.

Eda and I crawled into the hall of shortcuts.

"How did Bump convinced me to join the team?" I sighed.

"He didn't. He forced you." Eda reminded. "Now you're stuck."

"Right." I said.

"Hey." Porter said as he and Eber got into the hall.

"Sup." Eda replied.

I just kind of nodded.

Eber said she smelled something then ran in a direction. We followed her. She stopped and stared at two people and a set of paints and markers next to a giant portrait of Eda that she put up when none of us were around. The portrait was completely graffitied.

"What the hell are you two doing?" Eda snapped.

"You left is alone together." Alador said. "What did you expect?"

"We've been over this at least 6 times now." Raine said. "Alador and I should not be left alone together.

"If you were gonna graffiti that picture, you should've told me. I'd have helped." Eda said.

Alador handed her a paint brush.

"There's more room." He said.

Eda took the paint brush. She knelt down and started at it.

"Come on." Raine told Eber, Porter, and I.

We looked at each other then joined them. Everyone laughed as we defaced the portrait.

{An Hour Later}

We all signed our names and Eber put a paw print on the wall. After that, we all stepped back and looked at the chaos. The paint and marker wasn't even limited to the portrait and wall. All of us managed to get it on our hands, faces, arms, hair, and uniforms.

"I hereby dub this the wall of troublemakers! Those who have signed their names will forever be known as troublemakers! The names will be etched in history and paint for future troublemakers to find and add to!" Eda declared, swinging her paint brush and splattering more paint on us. "Until the walls fall and the school is no more, Hexside will never be rid of troublemakers! Never, I say, never!"