𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡. 𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗣𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗬𝗢𝗨

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU

     PRACTICE with varsity wasn't much different from practice with the JV team apart from the fact that it was two different teams, and the varsity players didn't seem to question their coach's every move. It was a nice change for Sophie, especially because now she had other people who would play defense with her. She wasn't being left alone to help keep the puck away from the net. It also helped that she was back with Adam.

She even liked the warmups and drills that varsity did during practice. It wasn't that she hated Coach Orion's drills. It was more the fact that varsity players actually did the things their coach told them to do with no complaints and they also did them correctly. Sophie liked being on a team that actually worked together especially as defense.

Right before practice, Coach Wilson had given Sophie her varsity jacket which she was over the moon about. She was very excited to have it but still planned to "conveniently" forget her own so Scooter or Adam will give her theirs.

There was only two downsides Sophie had found so far with being on varsity. One being she was away from the friends she still had on JV. The second being that some of her teammates of varsity made her uncomfortable. One of them had begun to make a joke about her changing in the locker room but shut up when Rick smacked the back of his head and called his gross. Some of the others watched her change before practice, trying to not make it obvious that they were but she knew.

Scooter, Rick and Adam did their best to make her switch to their team comfortable but there was only so much they could do with keeping the guys from watching her. She had never once had this issue with the Ducks. Not even with Dean who was her boyfriend. None of them felt like they were entitled to watch her while she changed from a sweater into a shirt for practice.

Her first varsity practice overall wasn't a horrible experience, but she still had a part of her long for being back with the Ducks. That part of her vanished the moment she returned to the locker room to see it had been covered in liquid nitrogen. Everything from the lockers to the team's personal items down to every single varsity jacket. Including Sophie brand new one that she had yet to wear.

Her and Adam shared a look before turning to Rick to see his reaction. The team captain tapped his frozen jacket with the handle of his stick, Cole doing the same. However, Cole's jacket fell from locker shattering to pieces as it hit the ground, several players jumping back. The sound made Sophie jump back, having to remind herself that it was the jacket breaking and not her father throwing a vase at the wall.

Cole pointed to the slanted ceiling behind Rick causing the rest of the team to turn. On the ceiling, written in shaving cream were the words "Varsity suck ice."

Rick pointed to his frozen jacket, speaking saying the word "ducks" before smashing his jacket to pieces. Adam and Sophie, along with the players standing the closest to Rick, jumped back to avoid being showered with pieces of the destroyed jacket.

"I didn't even get to wear mine yet," Sophie quietly said to Adam in sadness before her expression turned angry. "Do you think they knew last night?"

Adam looked over at his best friend with a worried look in his eyes.

"They wouldn't have done this to us, right?" Adam's words were just as quiet and sad.

"I never thought Kenny and I would stop being friends but yet here we are."