e i g h t ✿ photograph - ed sheeran

"I'm seriously going to tell dad you stole my shovel again," I started sobbing.

"Oh so you're gonna cry again you little wimp?" he taunted even more.

"I am not a wimp!!" I screamed, throwing some of the sand in the box at him. However, he just laughed his ass off, so I started slumping on the floor and weakly sobbed in defeat.

"Hey, hey, I was kidding okay? I'm sorry."

"No. Dad's gonna know about this!!"

"Okay, so big man will not hurt his little princess anymore okay? I'm sorry. That would be the last."

The moment I heard that he wouldn't pick on me, I looked up at him, wiping all the tears away from my eyes.

"Pinky promise?" I sniffed, holding out my pinky to him.

"Pinky promise."

***

"Wow, dude, I didn't know you still remember those times we hated each other so much, you actually use your dad to make me afraid of you", he said, laughingly.

"I had to use my assets, bitch," I retorted, kicking on the sand to make the swing move a little.

"Fuck being a daughter of a high ranking police officer," he muttered, making me laugh so hard.

Minutes later, everything turned silent except for the occasional creaking made by the pulley mechanism of the swing.

I missed the times we were like this. Just being together, hanging out and having fun. Me going into school and him focusing on his own stuff made us find lesser time to be together.

But who am I anyways to demand for his time and attention? I'm just his friend, his childhood buddy, his best friend.

All I could do is wait.

"How's school treating you, though, college girl?" he asked, breaking the silence that engulfed us.

"Shit ass," I said like it's the only thing that I know. I failed a subject, and it got into me so bad that I tried cutting more than once.

"You'll make it through, okay?" he said, adjusting his snapback.

I meekly smiled at the ground, kicking some pebbles onto the balls of my shoes.

"How I wish I could have been there to cheer my buddy up", he said.

How I wish I could also easily tell you I am fucking in love with you, though, Calum. How I wish.

I turned to look at him when some tall brunette started making way towards us and called Calum.

I rolled my eyes as Calum stood up from the swing he was sitting on and hugged her.

Bitch just ruined my moment with Calum. Thanks.

When Cal pulled away, he faced me back and gave me a meek smile.

"Uhm, buddy, I hope you don't mind, she's Tanya. She's one girl I met while I taking up my vocational course," he said flashing his teeth, obviously smitten.

I took Tanya's hand, and shook it. But something really doesn't feel right inside me so the moment she released her grip from the handshake, I backed off a little.

"Nice meeting you, and thanks for the day, Cal. Hope to catch up soon, bud!" I said bidding him goodbye, flashing a toothy grin.

But the moment I turned around and started walking away, the tears started streaming down my face.