Chapter 22 Fight Song

3rd POV

3rd POV

They were able to fish out Luffy from the bottom of the ocean before he drowned.

While he was fuming at Uta while she was giggling about him being a soar loser, Gen was staring at her like a creepy stalker.

"Go on, talk to her." Yamato whispered as she nudged him a little.

"I-I..." Gen stammered.

"Oh, for crying out loud."

Gentaro grabbed his brother by the arm and began dragging towards Uta.

"Hey!"

Uta looked up to see the brothers approaching. Gentaro shoved Gen towards her, "This is my brother Gen, he's a big fan."

Gen stared at Uta for a moment before opening his mouth and letting out what sounded like a chicken being strangled.

"Is he okay?" Uta asked, looking Gen with concern.

Gen let out another strangled chicken noise. Gentaro  sighed and put a hand on the back of his nape, "Come on, say something." He slapped his brother on the back.

Gen's lip quivered before he took a deep breath and blurted out, "ILIKEYOURMUSIC!!" And ran off.

"Thank you.... I think." Uta called after him.

When Gen came into the far corner of the island, where the staircase leading to where the boats they came on were, he did the thing he does best; curl up into a ball, wishing he could disappear into thin air.

"Mew..."

He looked up to see a small ball of fur, staring at him with big yellow eyes. Gen stared down at the tiny cat and could tell it was in pretty bad shape. The skin around it's stomach was so tightly drawn that he could see its tiny ribs and its fur that he guessed was once a white color was now a dirty grey.

He reached for it slowly. The cat didn't even flinch as he gently stroked its head, feeling it's stiff fur.

"Mew...." The cat mewled weakly.

"Are you hungry?" Gen asked.

He could have sworn the cat nodded, or maybe it was just his imagination. He stood up and walked over to the table Sanji was using to cook and crouched down and began rummaging around the crate of fruits and vegetables under the table.

He pulled out an apple, inspected it for a moment and then took it up to the chopping board. He was just a cabin boy but he was forced to work in the Beast Pirate kitchen a couple of times. He couldn't cook anything but did know his way around a knife.

He cut the apples into small pieces and was careful to remove the seeds. After peeling the pieces he put them on a spare plate and brought them to the cat.

"Here you go." Gen said as he set down the plate in front of the small furball.

The cat began hungrily eating away the sliced apples like it hadn't had a thing to eat in forever. A small smile graced Gen's lips as he watched the little critter eat away to it's heart content.