Ch. 9

It's been a few months and Xiao Ying's back has been healing nicely. As a little fox, his fur grew back and it looked as if it never happened. As a human, the scars were way more noticeable. Wangji would tend to them more in Xiao Ying's human form as they needed more time to heal, and with some ointment he has, it helps remove scars which is his own recipe, and it's called cotton rose ointment. Since it is just scars that have mostly healed over, applying the ointment twice a day for several weeks will help remove them.

Xiao Ying has become his normal playful self again in the meantime. Like this morning for example, the morn bell had just rung and echoed across Cloud Recesses. Xiao Ying, in his fox form, was sitting on Wangji's chest patiently waiting for him to wake. The moment Wangji's eyes opened, his face was attached by little licks over he nose, or little fox kisses. Lan Wangji could only chuckle.

"I need to get you something for that fish breath of yours," Wangji told him.

As Xiao Ying was so light he started to pounce on Wangji's chest in excitement, you are awake. Good morning Zhan-Gege, you look so beautiful when you are sleeping but it's nice to see your eyes too. So pretty.

Lan Wangji props up on his elbows, "flatterer," he said.

It's true! Xiao Ying said happily. He did a downward dog try pose and his nine tails were wagging all over the place.

"What has you so happy today?" Wangji asked.

I am always happy when I am with you Gege.

"Do you have some extra pent up energy you want out?" Wangji asked, "I can let you outside while I dress."

I don't want to go out without you.

"Well, if you behave for a bit, I will sit outside with you after I freshen up for the day," Wangji said.

A cute little whine came out of Xiao Ying before he hopped off the bed and jogged around the open space of the Jingshi. Wangji could only laugh, I am glad to see you back to your old playful self again, he thought to himself.

Lan Wangji got out of bed and had a bath. He then dressed into his Gusu robes and put his forehead ribbon on before going out to the main room. Wangji was just about to go out back with Xiao Ying when his brother knocked on the door.

"Xiongzhang," Wangji greeted.

"Good morning Wangji," he said, but his attention was soon on Xiao Ying who was very hyperactive at the moment, "someone is in a very good mood today."

"Tell me about it," Wangji replied and opened his back door. Xiao Ying immediately ran outside and began rolling around in the morning dew covered grass, "I am going to have to give him a bath soon, I can already feel it."

"It's good to see he is feeling better," Xichen said.

"I know, but I did not expect him to be sitting on me when I woke up this morning," Wangji said.

"Was he?" Xichen laughed, "He is so cute."

Wangji nodded and turned his attention back to Xiao Ying who just so happened to jump in a muddy puddle, Wangji tsked, "Xiao Ying!" He scolded. Xiao Ying stood there in the water staring back at Wangji and Xichen, "don't you dare do it again!"

Xiao Ying internally giggled which Wangji heard through their mind connection. Even Xichen heard it. Xiao Ying then laid down in the puddle and began to roll around in it. Lan Xichen laughed as he knew that Xiao Ying was mocking Wangji at this point.

"Ge, that is not funny, little brat," he mumbled.

"Yes it is, he is so mocking you," Xichen said, "I will go get his bath prepared for you, okay."

"Thank you," Wangji said watching him walk back inside and then turned back to Xiao Ying, "hey!" Xiao Ying stopped and looked at Wangji, "stop playing in the mud."

If I don't listen?

"Xiao Ying!" Wangji scolded.

Xiao Ying giggled as he jumped into his the puddle again before going over to a patch of dirt and looked right at Wangji. Wangji shook his head and gave him a scolding glare. Xiao Ying then laid down and rolled in the dirt. Wangji sighed as he couldn't help but shake his head at his little fox's mischievous behavior.

"You know you now have to take a bath right," Wangji told him.

Xiao Ying went back to laying in the puddle, this is my bath.

Lan Wangji shook his head, "a proper bath," he corrected.

Okay.

Xiao Ying got out of the puddle and ran over to Wangji. Halfway, he stopped and shook his body, letting muddy water go everywhere. He then rolled around in the grass again, allowing some of the dirt to brush off onto the grass. He then trotted over to Wangji.

Wangji picked him up and held him out away from his body, "so filthy," he said and then brought him inside.

"The water is...ready, wow," Xichen said and saw that Xiao Ying was covered in mud.

"I know," Wangji said, "he is so naughty."

"Would you like some help?" Xichen asked.

"You do not have to," Wangji said but Xichen insisted.

Wangji had a medium sized tub that was perfect for Xiao Ying. He placed the little fox into the water and Xiao Ying was already rolling around in the clean water. Wangji removed his outer robe before rolling up his sleeves and began to wash the mud off the little fox.

"So much energy out of you today," Xichen said as he helped wash Xiao Ying.

I am a fox, I am supposed to have all this energy. Plus I have been inside and recovering from injuries, now that I am feeling better, my energy is much better.

"That doesn't mean you had to go rolling around in mud," Wangji said.

But now I can smell like you.

Lan Xichen laughed as he saw his brother's ears turn red, "that is true, Wangji," he teased.

"Ge, not helping," Wangji said.

"Just having some fun," Xichen said.

It took them a little while to get Xiao Ying clean before letting him out and dried him off. Lan Wangji then took him with to get breakfast. Xiao Ying happily ate his fish quietly. Lan Wangji could only smile at the little fox as he could not help himself. For as mischievous as he was, Xiao Ying sure did know how to liven up his day.