Chapter 7

After eating their modest breakfast, Thomas and Juliet decided to do some brainstorming and gather up all the information they had about their kidnapping. Once again they went back to the events of the previous day.

"I guess we still don't know much about what's going on here." Magnum stated a bit irritated.

"At least we know why you were feeling bad so suddenly. My drink was spiked with that thing." Juliet told him.

"Yeah. You know, I was wondering how could that happen. I'm sure Rick can vouch for the bartender – that man can't be bribed. So the only time that could be possible was when..."

"That tourist showed up." They both said in unison.

Thomas and Juliet looked at each other and sheepish grins instantly appeared on their faces.

"Oh, I see you've been thinking about that too." He said still smiling.

"Yes, I pondered about it last night." She admitted quietly.

"I was sure you fell asleep at once." He said with surprise. He thought it was only him whose mind was busy with analyzing their serious situation. It turned out Juliet was doing the same thing at the same time.

"Well, I couldn't sleep for some time so I let my mind be occupied with something useful." She replied.

To tell the truth, she had to think about their situation in order not to think about something else, namely the fact that she was lying in her partner's arms and it felt so good despite everything that was happening around them. A faint blush crept up her face at this memory.

"Higgy, are you all right?" Magnum's voice brought her back to reality. "Are you cold?"

"A little." She said weakly as the coldness really returned.

"How about you lie down a little." He suggested.

"No, I'll be fine. Let's not waste any more time." She shook her head and stood up, leaving him alone on the mattress.

"We know 'how', now let's talk about 'why' they kidnapped us." She murmured and started pacing the floor. "Apparently, I was being followed for a couple of days and it was me they wanted to capture."

"Yeah, then I came along and evidently their plans changed." Magnum added.

Juliet came to a halt and met his eyes. Luckily, neither one of them mentioned the comment Nick told them about her deep feelings for her partner.

"There's also this boss that forbid them to hurt you. Do you have any idea who that might be? Maybe someone holds a grudge against you?" Thomas asked her.

"Magnum, I could give you a dozen of such people's names from my past but they're either in prison or dead so it's very unlikely that it's one of them." Juliet stated.

All this time he was looking closely at his partner. He couldn't help but notice the instant change in her body language and her voice when she mentioned her MI6 time. He felt that job of her was deeply rooted in her and whenever it resurfaced, it was affecting her profoundly.

She sighed. Although she had some good memories when it came to working for Her Majesty, Juliet knew she was a different person then, she simply had to be if she wanted to survive all those secret actions. She needed to be indifferent, always on alert, her feelings put aside and never question the orders she was given. Then there was Richard but that didn't end well.

When she came to Hawaii, at first she felt lost, no secret operations, no danger, she had to remodel her whole world. She left that cold professional Juliet behind and day by day with her Ohana's help she became a much calmer and open person. Truth be told, this was evidently her place on Earth and she knew it. With a certain PI by her side, of course.