Chapter 26

Kumu, Rick and TC were really lucky the girl was at home because she was just about to fly to the mainland to visit her relatives. They made it just in time and were so glad that they may finally get closer to finding Thomas and Juliet but very soon their hopes faded when they realized that she didn't have much else to add. However, just when they were leaving the place, something came to the girl's mind - she remembered that the man told her that he would be close to Eddy's bar - a place where they had great food.

So once again luck smiled on them. They knew that they shouldn't waste a single second and had to act quickly. TC used his phone to look at the map of Oahu and all three of them tried to predict the places where Magnum and Higgins were likely to be held. After doing that, they hopped in the car and TC drove them as fast as he could, trying to get there in one piece.

They found the bar easily, it turned out it was really on the other side of the island near the rainforest. Kumu had a feeling they were on to something, they just had to be. They were driving in the bar's nearest neighborhood, scanning the area in silence, each of them focused on spotting anything that would give them a clue when TC hit the brakes and the car stopped suddenly, making them fall forward. Luckily, they were all securely buckled into their seats.

"Hey! Watch out, man!" Rick exclaimed and when TC didn't react, he took a look at him and noticed that his friend was observing something on the left side of the road.

"What is it, brother?" He asked.

"I'm...not...sure." TC replied, squinting his eyes and not taking them off the thing that had caught his attention. "Do you see that road?" He asked.

Both Rick and Kumu leaned sideway, trying to see what their friend was now pointing to.

"That narrow one between those trees." TC clarified.

It was really hard to spot it but after a few seconds they finally noticed it as it was covered almost completely with wild shrubs and trees.

"What do you think about it? Could it be the one?" TC asked and turned to his friends.

"Well, if I were someone who wanted to disappear for a while, I'd surely choose something like that." Rick said.

"Yeah, it's quite well hidden. I wonder where it leads to." Kumu added.

"Just a sec. We're going to find that out really soon." Rick replied as he was already checking the map on his phone. "Hmm, that's strange."

"What is it?" Kumu asked.

"It seems that it goes for a couple of miles in the west direction and then ends abruptly where it becomes a closed road. Nothing's there, no houses or other buildings, nothing that the kidnappers may use to hold TM and Higgy."

"Nothing on the map. You know, it's possible that there is something out there that wasn't put on the map on purpose." Kumu stated.

"Because it wasn't supposed to be widely known to the general public." TC continued her thought.

The woman nodded in agreement.

"What are you both talking about?" Rick asked.

"The WWII bunkers." TC replied.

"And they're hidden deep in the rainforest." Kumu added.

All three of them shared a knowing look. Now they finally had a lead, the chance to find their friends and free them from whoever had taken them.

"What are we waiting for? Let's check it out." Rick told them with full confidence.

TC nodded and maneuvered the car so that he could turn into that road. They drove for a couple of miles and indeed they didn't see any buildings or even sheds. The road became narrower and winding with the plants on its both sides getting increasingly dense. Finally, they noticed two big signs saying 'Road closed' and 'Road can be used only for the reserve employees'. There was also a closed gate blocking the passage.