Chapter 32

A few minutes later, Thomas and Juliet were still standing in the same spot, holding each other as if they had a feeling that they were having their last peaceful moments together and they could expect anything, including the worst.

That's why none of them moved when they heard the key being turned in the lock. When the door opened and Nick came inside, he was met with a peculiar view, namely in the middle of the room were the two PIs, holding each other tight. This surprised him but not because he didn't know they had deep feelings for each other. No, he became aware of that shortly after he started observing them prior to their kidnapping, probably even before those two realized that. He was surprised because they were finally showing their affection which was really great.

If only the situation was different... Nick sighed. He didn't expect to like the pair but he really did and cheered for them. He wished he could help them somehow. That's why he spent the previous night formulating a plan how to free them from this place. But he knew that he had to be very careful because he didn't come alone here – this time he had one of Burns' bodyguards with him. He had a feeling that lately the boss had become quite suspicious and may not trust him the way he used to. If that was true, he was sure he knew who was behind it and that would be Burt. That man was sneaky from the beginning. Nick really didn't like working with Burt but he had no choice – he was recommended by the boss himself and now he knew why – he was a perfect mole here. The fact that he hadn't seen that earlier, made Nick angry with himself. But now there was no point in crying over spilled milk, what's done was done.

The man had already realized that taking this job wasn't a good idea. Thinking back about this whole kidnapping thing, he came to conclusion that it was really wrong and now the only way to make up for this terrible mistake was to help Thomas and Juliet get out of here safely, and he knew that he'd do everything in his might to succeed.

Trying to act professionally and not to get into more trouble, Nick knew that he couldn't step out of his role. "Come on, let's go. Mr Burns awaits you." He said but they didn't move a bit that's why he came closer to the pair and grabbed Magnum by the arm, dragging him away from Juliet. "That's enough!"

The PI hissed in pain at the sudden contact.

"Hey!" Higgins protested loudly.

"I told you. Let's go!" This time Nick raised his voice.

Thomas and Juliet exchanged glances. They both noticed the sudden change in the man's behavior. At the beginning he acted like a typical kidnapper but day after day he became more human, he even shared part of his personal story with them and there were times when Magnum felt he was on their side and there was a slight chance that he could help them and now this. Something must have happened that made Nick change his attitude so suddenly.

"Here, escort Miss Higgins downstairs. I'll be right behind you." Nick told the other man.

He did as he was told but before he took her outside, he put her hands behind her back and placed a plastic tie wrap around her wrists that instantly cut into her skin. Juliet gritted her teeth and with one last look at her partner, was led through the door and then down the stairs.

Now it was Thomas' turn. He put his hands behind his back but he was really surprised when Nick wrapped the plastic not as tight as he should have. He wanted to ask him about it but the man just pushed him forward.

"Go!" He ordered and they left the room.

"Hey, what's going on?" Magnum asked and when he didn't get the answer, he continued. "I know something's up."

"Shut up!" Nick shouted and suddenly shoved him hard, this time towards the stairs.

Such violent reaction really shocked Thomas. Although it could be a normal reaction of a kidnapper and this was the way how one could treat someone who was captured, however judging by the man's previous behavior, this sudden change indicated that something big was going on. Maybe the boss discovered that Nick had treated him and Juliet too gently and the man got reprimanded. Or there was another option that it was Nick himself who decided to change his attitude towards them into harsher and more appropriate one.