• Chapter Seven •

Standing outside his apartment smoking a cigarette, Julian contemplated on crashing somewhere else for the night. He had drank several rounds before walking home from work.

He thought about Albert—the way he had carelessly brushed off his complaints. He went so far as to even call him delusional.

Albert may have enjoyed the luxury of a live-in maid; however, Julian didn't much care for it. Al and Jules had a system—Erin had broken that system. Moving into their own place together was supposed to be just that—their own place. If Julian wanted someone to pick up after him and misplace his shit, he would move back home with his Mom.

Without overthinking it more than he already had, Julian entered the apartment.

Albert stirred awake to Julian locking the door—a lit cigarette hanging from his lips as he tossed his keys onto the entry table, kicking off his shoes.

Al had fallen asleep watching tv. A funny thought entered his mind, something Erin had said—he must be old.

Julian slipped out of his black leather bomber, throwing it toward the task chair with the broken wheel, not bothering to pick it up. It didn't matter—Erin would have it picked up and put away the moment he stepped out of the room.

Julian placed his cigarette on the rim of the ashtray just before diving into the couch—letting all of his body weight fall into Albert as he sprawled across him.

Al let out a guttural groan filled with agony as he cupped his balls—Julian's foot landing right on his crotch.

"The fuck..." Albert squirmed in fetal position, pushing Julian's legs off with the hand that wasn't trying to protect his nuts. "I should... kick your ass." Al spoke with a tight throat; his blood returning to his lungs, enabling him to breathe again.

"I want her out." Julian mumbled against the cushion as Albert continued pushing his legs out of his lap.

Julian avoided Al's grasp with ease, simply raising his feet and then dropping them back down. "I tried being nice, but I can't take it anymore, she's gotta go—I caught her in my room... crying on the phone about something to somebody."

"I can't kick Erin out—she's got nowhere to go." Albert said, managing to grab hold of Julian's ankles to keep them from swinging.

"I would never move some random-ass chick in here without talking to you about it first."

"She not some random-ass chick, she's a good friend."

"She's a fucking co-worker." Jules spat while coming up off the sofa.

"Alright, if you want her out so bad—you do it."

"That's not fair."

"You're the one with the problem."

Julian stared at Albert in disbelief for a long moment, then used Al's shoulder to push himself up off the couch.

"Fuck it—maybe I'll just move out." He swayed slightly, making it apparent to Al that he has been drinking.
"I'm goin to bed... unless she's already in it." Julian slurred as he made his way to his bedroom.
        "Give 'em an inch, they take a mile..."

        Albert's face fell with exhausted annoyance as he listened to Jules murmur incoherent ramblings about their temporary visitor.