• Chapter Fourteen •

Erin laid awake for what felt like hours—she even contemplated getting into Al's empty bed, thinking perhaps that might make a difference.

It wasn't just her thoughts that kept her awake, it was the sound of a guitar—playing the same riff over and over again with a slightly different tone each time.

        She couldn't take it anymore. Erin threw off her covers, quickly getting to her feet to confront the problem before she lost the will and backed down.

As much as Erin didn't want to face Julian, she couldn't stand to listen to the same string of chords being played—over and over.

The moment Erin's knuckles made contact with Julian's door, she instantly regretted her decision. The sound of the guitar ceased abruptly, just before the door came open.

Julian's unfocused gaze suddenly focused when his eyes met Erin's. He was mid-drink as he opened the door; quickly moving the bottle away from his mouth to greet her with a halfhearted wave. It was obvious he had been expecting someone else—anyone else—on the other side.

"Hey, um... so it's almost 3am." Erin spoke cautiously, trying her best not to offend him. "I'd like to get some sleep."

"You got work tomorrow?"

"No."

"You wanna come in?" Julian opened the door wide as he stepped aside, waving Erin into his bedroom.

"No, I- I wanna get some sleep."

"Why?"

"Because it's 3am." Erin stated just before laughing softly in disbelief.

It was clear to her that upon coming back to the apartment, Julian had continued to drink—he was more inebriated than the last time she seen him—just a couple of hours prior.

       "I work nights, so..." Julian trailed, glancing to the floor before moving his eyes to her again.
      "Will you come in?—Just for a few minutes?"

Erin shook her head, but found herself walking past the threshold into his room. She folded her arms as she stood by the door—assuming he wanted to talk to her about something.

"You can sit down if you want." Julian motioned toward the bed.

Erin did as suggested with skepticism, but taking note that there wasn't really any other place to sit—other than the floor.

      She sat on the edge timidly just before Julian sat next to her. His legs were spread far apart—the side of his knee touching her thigh.

Erin subtly crossed her legs away from his, resting her elbow on her knee as she cradled her head in her hand.

"Want a drink?" Julian offered the one in his hand—Erin declined, "Want me to go get you one?"

"No—really, I'm fine. But thank you."

"Who were you on the phone with?"

"What?"

"The other day, when you were in here—who were you talkin' to?"

Erin flashed a painful smile. "It won't happen again—I should've asked first, but you were talking to Al and-"

"I don't care about that—you're welcome to use it anytime. I just- I saw you were upset and..." Julian trailed as he shook his head, "I'm such a fucking asshole. I just walked out—didn't even ask if you were okay, or if you needed anything-"

"My Mom." Erin interrupted his apologetic thought.

"Is she alright?"

"Oh she's great—she's never been better."