• Chapter Twenty-Six •

Business was slower than usual, which meant time spent working with Albert was all the more awkward.

Erin could barely look at him—mostly because Al refused to acknowledge her existence during the hours they spent working together.

        It wasn't until finding herself behind the counter sorting through classic rock vinyls that Albert cleared his throat to get her attention.

Sheepishly shifting her gaze to the friend that still refused to look at her, Albert finally spoke.
   "I wanna apologize for the shit I said last Friday."

"It's fine."

"No, it's not—it's your life. I just... I don't wanna catch you sleeping in your car again. I think Mike's a piece of shit- I will always think that about him. He doesn't deserve you, but it's not my place to tell you who you can or can't be with. I'm just trying to look out for you... in my own fucked up sort of way."

        "I appreciate it." Erin patted Al's shoulder, causing his gaze to finally lock with hers. "You don't have to worry about me sleeping in my car though, I'm pretty sure the City already towed it." She giggled.

        "The fuck are you talkin about?—It's at Sam and Jeanette's place." Albert shook his head, taking over Erin's work.

      "Who?"

"Sam... Jeanette?—Jules didn't tell you?"

"No—did- did he sell my car?"

"He fixed it. He didn't want the City towing it so he put it in his parent's garage."

"He fixed my car?" Erin asked. Her eyes were wide and full of gratitude—her mouth partially hanging open in disbelief.
     She swallowed hard. "When?"

"Oh God, I don't even remember. Probably a month or so back? It was like... right after it quit on you. I think it was the same day he drove you to work—when it was pouring rain?"

        Erin turned, quickly moving to the other side of the shop. She was holding her breath in a desperate attempt to keep from crying.

She could feel her face begin to tingle, like tiny needles pricking into her eyes. She pretended to be busy, hoping with every fiber of her being that Albert wouldn't dare try and speak to her.

Erin's face contorted in anguish against her will—she was fucking crying.

        "Why are you crying?" Albert chuckled. He was standing next to her, keeping his eyes on the side profile of her distressed face.

"Don't," Erin shook her head while inhaling choppy breaths. "It's just that time of the month."

Erin hoped the talk of her menses would get him off her case, but instead, it seemed to have the opposite affect.

        "Need a tampon?—Some Midol?" Al flashed a wide grin.

Erin gave him a middle finger, finding herself laughing and sobbing—all at the same time.

        "Why would he do that?—Jules doesn't even like me."

"He doesn't just like you—he likes you, likes you." Albert laughed.

"No he doesn't."

"He does—I've seen the way he looks at you."

        "Why hasn't he ever said anything?"

Albert shrugged. "Because I told him to keep his dick away from you. Besides, you're with Mike now so... it doesn't matter anyway."