• Chapter Seventeen •

Erin had been a no-show. It wasn't exactly by choice—her car wouldn't start. She thought about taking a cab to the show, but the uncertainty of how much she was going to have to spend fixing her car made her wary of the cost for cab fare.

She would have to pay to have it towed—find a reasonably priced mechanic, a part, (or parts) plus the expense of service.

Erin was saving up her money, setting aside $190 a week. The remaining $50 she'd spend on food, gas—necessities. She had also bought some cleaning supplies and a couple of hampers to keep Albert and Julian's laundry separated for when taking it to the mat.

She had a plan—she was going to repay Al's hospitality, and still have enough to go back home in the coming weeks.

Erin had written it all out—down to every miscellaneous purchase and future expense. She had meticulously budgeted every single thing—everything except a broke down car.

Heading to the kitchen to make coffee, Erin spotted a shirtless Albert on the couch. Soft snores escaped his partially open mouth—his wild curly hair covering his eyes. His arm was hanging off the sofa, his wrist bent awkwardly against the floor.

Erin couldn't see for sure, (nor did she want to) but it looked like his pants had been undone. She could see his belt buckle hanging off the side of the couch by his bare hip.

There was a black bra hanging off the arm of the sofa; a red halter top in the floor by the broken office chair in the corner piled up with Al and Jules' clothes. There was a pair of sleek women's shoes just at the foot of the hall—shoes that weren't Erin's.

Erin was careful not to wake him; however, the whirring sound of the coffee pot was not. She braced herself for when Al came sluggishly stomping into the kitchen—hungover and grumpy; but to Erin's relief, that didn't happen.

She started back to the bedroom, taking a sip of coffee as she tiptoed past the half naked lump on the couch.

"Did you make me some?" Al asked. He was sitting up on the edge of the sofa, his elbows resting on his knees as he searched the table for a pack of cigarettes.

"There should be enough in there." Erin said, watching Albert light up a smoke.    
      "So who's the lucky lady?—Do you even remember her name?" She giggled.

"I left her back at Nick's place. I don't remember her name, no." Albert smiled with his eyes—too tired for his lips to follow suit.

Erin's brows furrowed curiously, looking to the bra next to him.
"She didn't make it back with you?—Are you sure about that?"

"You and I are close, but not that close—I don't need an audience." Al smirked.
      "So where the fuck were you last night? I thought you didn't have anything else goin on, huh?"

"About that... my car won't start."

"That sucks."

"Yeah, I hate taking the bus."

"You won't have to take the bus—or a cab. We'll just take turns taking you where you gotta go."

"We?" Asked Erin with a raised brow.

"Me and Jules—it's technically his car, but we share it."

Erin already knew that wasn't going to happen. She would sneak out of the apartment and walk before she let either of them drag her around the city.

"I'm gonna get it fixed. I just need to find a cheap mechanic-"

"What's the rush? Almost no one in the city even owns a car."

"I'm going back to Carolina." Erin admitted.

"What?—When?"

"Next month." Erin took a sip of coffee. She wasn't really in the mood to talk about it—mostly because she didn't want to go back.

        It would only take just a little convincing, and Erin would stay. All she needed was one reason—dumb reason—to stick around, and she would. But staying in New York wasn't in her best interest—it wasn't a wise decision.

Erin started back to the bedroom. She was nearly at Albert's room when she heard Julian's door open.

She hovered there a moment just to greet him—to be cordial. They still hadn't spoken of what happened the other night. It was weighing heavily on her mind, but Erin would not be the first to discuss it. Although, she wanted to make sure Julian had the opportunity—in case he wanted to clarify his unexpected actions.

However, it wasn't Julian that was coming out of his room.

The young woman was tall, with legs that seemed to go on for days. Her long brown hair was pushed over to one side, hanging over the side of her pretty heart shaped face. Her complexion was like caramel; the length of Julian's shirt barely leaving anything to the imagination.

Erin wasn't sure why, but the sight made her feel bitter. Then another strange feeling took hold—anger. The feeling set in the moment Julian's eyes met her.

He was coming through the doorway, walking closely behind last night's lay with a satisfied grin on his face. But the moment he locked eyes with Erin, the smile faded.

Though Julian was fully clothed, his hair told the tale of last night's events. If his tousled tresses didn't tell the story, the half naked girl coming out of his bedroom wearing his t-shirt definitely did.

Erin quickly looked away, entering Albert's bedroom without a second glance.
        ...It meant nothinghe was drunk when he kissed her.