•Chapter Thirty-Seven•

Erin hoped to catch Julian before the show, and although she had, it wasn't exactly the most graceful encounter she was expecting.

        He had been standing outside the Mercury Lounge, smoking a cigarette while chatting with a group of unfamiliar faces. As Erin stepped passed him to head inside, she placed her hand in the middle of his back, giving him a weak smile.

Julian turned to look at her, quickly removing the cigarette from his mouth as he gave Erin a hug.

By the time she started to wrap her arms around him, Jules had already dropped his arm from her waist. He went onto carry the conversation Erin had interrupted, giving her an awkward disingenuous wave—with very little eye contact.

In that moment, Erin had never felt so small. She felt like any other girl—not the girl Julian claimed to be in love with. Which was one of the reasons Erin had found herself at the bar.

Halfway through the set, Julian dived into the crowd. People began rushing the stage—touching, grabbing, and pulling—chaotically. What had sent Erin directly to the bar was the sight of Jules kneeling over the front of the stage, with a pair of slender arms cloaked around his neck.
...He had kissed someone.

The sight was enough to turn Erin's stomach. She supposed she deserved it—she should've found the courage to tell him how she felt last night, when he had given her the opportunity.

The show was over; Julian thanked everyone for coming out, speakers echoing feedback as he encouraged the people to stick around for a round of drinks.

Erin was way ahead of him, but she would not be sticking around and taking a chance on having to witness another girl's lips near his face.

She had gone to the restroom before the dreaded cab ride alone, the consumption of those five beers having gone straight through her.

Starting out of the women's washroom, Erin stopped. The sight of laden doe eyes rendered her incapable of all movement. She couldn't look away—no matter how hard she tried—not while he was looking back.

Julian wasn't only looking back at Erin, he was approaching her. She swallowed hard, inconspicuously straightening her posture.

"How'd we do—honestly?" Julian asked, his lips merely an inch from Erin's ear. She seemed to get lost in his eyes as they stood blocking the exit of the restroom; disregarding the women that shot snarling glances while brushing past her.

"Good- really good."

"Why'd you take off in the middle of the set then?"

Erin couldn't look away, so she closed her eyes to avoid his gaze. She couldn't believe he had even noticed her in the crowd; not with that bleach blonde's arms wrapped around his neck. Which only meant that he knew Erin had saw.

"It got a little too raunchy for my taste." Erin admitted, due to the liquid courage coursing through her veins.

Jules flashed a lopsided grin, moving his eyes to the floor. He scratched the side of his sweat dampened head, moving pieces of his fringe that were sticking to his forehead.

Turning a deaf ear to Erin's remark, Julian spoke. "We're goin over to Don Hill's, are you coming with us?"

"Why?"

"I don't want you being alone-"

"No," Erin laughed. "What I meant was, why aren't you guys staying?"

"This is a job now—I don't really wanna be hanging out at work if I ain't gotta be."