•Chapter Thirty-Nine•

Erin flagged down a cab, urging Julian to get in first. He walked slowly, taking a drag of his cigarette while he looked at Erin—confused by her urgency.

       "Get in the cab." Erin demanded.

"Why?"

"It's a thirty minute walk—we sure as shit ain't walking there." Erin recanted what Jules had said earlier.

        It caused the corner of his lips to twist into a devilish smirk. Julian took one last drag before tossing his cigarette into the street.

Jules gently stroked the side of Erin's face, softly caressing her chin with his callused thumb.
    "You're so cute when you try to act mean."

"I'm not acting—get in the fucking cab." Erin seethed.

        Julian did as told, giving her a subtle nod with a partial frown before climbing into the backseat. Erin got in behind him, slamming the door shut.

"East Village." Erin directed the cabby. She turned to face the window, trying her best to ignore Julian's drunken glares from the adjacent seat.

        "Will you talk to me... please?" Julian pleaded.

Erin sighed. "I don't know what to say."

"Are you mad at me?"

"I don't know." Erin finally looked at him. "I just can't believe you did that. Do you have any idea how fucking stupid that was?"

"What's stupid is him putting his
hands on you-"

"I spit in his face-"

"I don't care if you took a shit on his face—he has no right to put his hands on. He got what he fucking deserved and you know it."

        "You could go to jail for this."

"You think I care about that?"

        Julian may not have cared about going to jail over what he did, but Erin cared—she'd never forgive herself if it came to that.

"I do!—I care!"

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry I didn't kill him."

"Jules!-"

        "Dead men don't talk." Julian smirked; his smile quickly faded when realizing that his dark humor wasn't reciprocated.
       "Come on, Erin—it was just a joke."

"How could you do something so stupid?"

"Every time I look at you, I see those bruises. I saw him grab you up at the bar. I swore to myself I'd never let him lay another hand on you again... and he did."

"I don't need your pity-"

"I don't pity you, Erin—what he did wasn't right. I think it's fucked up you don't see it- that you've been through this shit so much that you make excuses about it- that you blame yourself for it."

        As much as Erin knew she was in love with Julian, she knew in this moment she had never loved him more. There were a few people in Erin's life that had stuck up for her, but never to the degree in which Julian had.

Erin didn't feel worthy enough; she couldn't stomach the possibility of Jules getting into trouble, all for defending her honor—Erin didn't feel she had much honor to protect.

      "Did you break into Michael's apartment?" Erin asked.

Julian groaned, letting his head fall back against the seat. "I didn't break in... I had your keys." He saw Erin's eyes widen in shock.
        "Why didn't you tell me he wouldn't let you leave? How long did he keep you there?" Julian mumbled, looking to Erin from the bottom of his slanted eyes.