Chapter II- Mouse in a cage

PHOEBE GLANCES over at her cellmate, a woman roughly her age named Ermes Costello.

"Wanna grab lunch with me now, PB?"

Phoebe nods and discreetly observes a cut on Ermes' hand.

"How did you cut yourself, Ermes?"

"I don't even know, some shitty little amulet thing cut me."

"Anyways, let's get going. We don't want to be the last ones in the cafeteria."

They walk together towards the cafe, Phoebe silently observing the other female prisoners in her vicinity.

"Whoa, PB, what's with that intimidating expression? You're gonna attract trouble if you keep it up," Ermes remarks.

Phoebe nods and attempts to relax her expression, dispelling the intimidating look that had been on her face.

The two girls proceed to the food line, collect their meals, and take a seat at one of the tables. Ermes gazes at Phoebe.

"So, why are you here PB? You never told me."

She looks off behind ermes sighing.

"I found myself wrongly accused of being connected to a murder. A dear friend of mine had taken the life of her boyfriend, and my DNA was discovered at the crime scene, on the murder weapon, and even on his body. The truth is, I had no involvement in the crime whatsoever. And as for my lawyer, well..."

She rolls her eyes.

Ermes lets out a low whistle. "Wow, you've really landed yourself in quite a mess, huh."

Phoebe tilts her head. "What did you do Ermes?"

She gives the girl a casual shrug. "Robbed a gas station, wound up in this place. Not as bad as your situation, though." Phoebe nods, clearly intrigued.

"Welp, lunch is over."

Ermes stands up, quickly grabbing Phoebe's arm and pulling her over to the trash can. There, they find another woman looking down into it with a feigned look of shock on her face.

"Jolyne? What are you doing?"

She jumps up and turns around, startled. "Oh, hey Ermes. Just.. Looking around.."

Ermes raises an eyebrow. "Okay... that's weird."
Jolyne laughs awkwardly, clearly caught off guard.

"Anyways Jolyne, this is my cell mate Phoebe. Don't mind her scary look, she's a softy."

Jolyne gives Phoebe a warm grin. "Nice to meet you! I'm Jolyne Cujoh."

"Nice to meet you too.."

"Well, I'm gonna get back to my cell. Wanna come Phoebe?"

The French girl shakes her head, and Ermes leaves her alone with Jolyne. Phoebe clears her throat, ready to speak.

"Are you alright, Jolyne? I saw you looking into the trash can, and you seemed upset," Phoebe inquires with concern.

Jolyne grimaces, "Eh, I could be better. The thing is, my strange cellmate lied about not having a photo of my parents. It's a long story."

"I see. Well, if there's anything I can do to help I will."

Jolyne hums. "Actually, yeah. Come with me."

The two walk up the prison stairs, peering down on the other prisoners.

"You see that girl sitting on that bench? That's my cellmate, Gwess. She has this strange, creepy bird thing. I'm starting to get suspicious of her, so I was wondering if—..!"

"Whoa?! Birdies don't say WHOA!"

Gwess tightens her grasp around her bird, making it choke out.

"Love you! Love you! LOVE YOU!" The bird screams.

"You messing with me now?!"

Unexpectedly Jolynes hand turns into string, grabbing the bird and replacing it with a banana she had gotten from the trash. Gwess opens her hand.

"A banana...?"

Jolyne curses under her breath, looking at you.

"Shit, I forgot you were here for a second. You're so quiet.."

Phoebe raises her eyebrow.

"You're a stand user Jolyne?"

Jolyne's eyebrows furrow.

"A stand user? What...? Ah, never mind. What's up with this creepy bird..?"

She grabs the bird, somehow taking off the head when suddenly miniature human limbs fall out, blood spilling from the bird.

"What the hell? This.. This is real! There's a person inside this bird!"

Phoebe looks over to the staircase watching Gwess climb up the stairs.

"Jolyne, she's coming!"

"Shit!"

She drops the bird and grabs Phoebe, hiding behind the corner and peering over to Gwess.

"Oh shit, I forgot about the bird!"

She uses her string to grab the bird, pulling it over to the pair and leaving a blood trail.

Jolyne watches as Gwess looks over, before walking the other direction.

"Thank god she's leaving.."

Jolyne looks down on the wall, seeing the giant plug in the wall.

Phoebe looks over at the large bird then Jolyne.

"Jolyne..."

"Phoebe! We've been shrunken! What the hell!"

Gwess's face suddenly appears, now way bigger then both girls.

"You! So you're the ones up to this!"

She looks over to Phoebe. "And you! Who do you think you are?!"

"How did you take my Copy-Chan away from me?!"

Gwess firmly seizes the two, causing them to wince, and then swiftly heads back to her cell, seething with anger.

"Jolyne, Jolyne, Jolyne, Jolyne!~"

She throws both Jolyne and Phoebe harshly.

"Jolyne.."

Jolyne begins to speak, her gaze locked on the two girls with a rather eerie intensity. "I'm starting to like you more and more. And you!"

She points a Phoebe with an unsettling grin.

"You're just adorable~ I heard Jolyne say your name, you're Phoebe? How cute."

Jolyne yells, "What's going on with my body!? What did you do, Gwess?!"

"Hey Jolyne, listen. I need you to stop talking, OK?"

"I'm like that person in the parrot-"

"Hey!" Gwess yells, poking Jolyne in the face. "I said stop talking!"

She throws a dead rat at Jolyne. "Put this on! And you, Phoebe.." She tosses another rat at you.

Gwess responds, "You too. I wish I had another costume for you, but I guess two little mousies will work." She laughs.

"Besides, it's a lot better than my parrot. It couldn't hold or carry anything. Rats are better, with their little paws."

"And by the way, I'll let you speak if it's cute. Like, 'Mommy I'm Hungry! ~' or  'See you later!~"

The pair puts on their costumes, wincing uncomfortably. "Aww! You two are so adorable!"

"Now, time for mouse training!"