𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞, 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙮 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙢𝙚

-

XI
how to breathe !

-

Suddenly, the world goes dead silent. Kim's stood, leaned against the wall, her eyes ungodly heavy. She can't breathe, she feels like the ceiling above her is on a fair point of collapsing. Her cheeks are sunken, and she can't even feel how hard her teeth are sinking into the side of her tongue. She can hear pounding on the door, the lock shaking. "Sidney, Kimmy! If you hurt them, I swear to god I'll kill you." It's Dewey, desperately clawing to get at her.

Sidney's ducked, grabbing ahold of Kim and attempting to drag her along to cover. Kim is unmoving, her muscles can't force her to lift a thing. Everything feels heavy, her body, her fingers, her heart. There's a clatter, and then two more gunshots. Kimberly wants to rush to Sidney's aid, to make sure she's alright, but she supposes she's not in all complete control of her head, because instead, she's crawling as quickly as possible to the limp figure in front of the couch.

Stu lifts his head, sensing her presence before seeing her. "Damn it, Kimberly! I told you to get the fuck out." He sounds stern and certian, even though he looks the exact opposite of both.

She lingers over him, her fingers slipping inside his palms. "Why do all of you think that I could ever just leave you behind like that?" She sniffs, and she nearly smiles.

Weakly, his fists tighten around hers, and his eyelids are struggling to stay open. "I'm fine." His voice absolutely does not sound fine. Kim opens her mouth to tell him how full of shit he is, but his free hand reaches up, touching her stained crimson tank top. "You got hurt. . ."

Kim's top teeth digs into the corner of her bottom lip, her face grimacing. "Trust me, I'm fine. You're the one I'm worried about."

Stu grabs around her neck, pulling her to just inches from his lips. "Don't you go worrying about me," he sputters, "I'm fine, I promise. Go help Dewey get inside." Kim reaches up and places her right hand against his forehead. She sniffs, licking the tears and drying blood from her lips.

"I—"

"Darling, just go." He completely releases his grasp around her hand, urging her up. She takes just a moment to take a good look at his face. His curly, blood-stained hair, the circles under his eyes that hide stories underneath them, and the way his chest slowly rises and falls with every
breath he takes.

Grudgingly, she stands, looking around frantically for Sidney. "Kimmy! Sid, god damn it, open the door!" Dewey and Gale are still screeching for their friends, and Kim runs straight towards the door.

"Dewey, Gale!" As quickly as possible, she starts fiddling with the lock, attempting to pick it open.

"Kimberly, stand back!" Kim does as told, backing into the decorative pillar.

"1. . .2. . .3!"

The door bursts open, shard of oak flying outward. "Kimmy!" Dewey runs and grabs ahold of her arms, relieved to see her. Chillingly, his face falls, "where is Sidney?"

Kim doesn't answer, and instead reaches up and runs her fingertips over her lips. Dewey snaps his fingers, causing Gale to move forward and take ahold of Kim as Dewey steps further into the room to look for Sid.

There she is, a knife raised above her head and a sorrowful look lingering in her expression. That's when Roman finally sees him, Roman, gasping on the ground, a large wound in the back of his head. "I shot you." He spurts our, his finger directed at Sid.