6.14. Riddle

Riddle

"What's going on?" Natasha shouted while following Costia downstairs. Due her wife's head start the blonde was struggeling to keep up with her.

"Our place." Costia shouted as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "It's my and Cosmo's place!" she exclaimed while opening the door and rushing out of the house.

Natasha followed her to the backyard, it was rather big, same as the rest of the territory. "Where the hell are you going?" Natasha wondered. Costia was walking towards a specific tree, a little out of breath.

When a ladder came into view Natasha didn't need any more information. "We had a tree house." the brunette said while starting to climb up the ladder. "Our place."

Natasha also climbed up and soon the two women found themselves in a rather small room. There wasn't too much inside, just wooden furniture. "There." Costia exclaimed as she pointed at a place between a cupboard and a table with small chairs. "That's the fucking between."

The brunette opened a drawer, inside was a key and a piece of paper. The paper was old and almost fell apart in Costia's hands, the ink it was written with was faded and hard to decode. "Your writing." Natasha stated, looking over Costia's shoulder. The brunette opened the letter. They both sat down on the floor and leaned against the wall. The room was so small they almost couldn't stand.

'Costia,
I'll probably don't remember I wrote this, but I hope I'll find it. The director of the Red Room wants me to kill Cosmo and I can't do that. I've become a moster over the time I've been there, but I won't cross that line.
The key is for the chest in my bedroom, I hope it's still there when I find it, not destroyed by the Red Room. Inside the chest is a box, secured by a code only I can know. It'll lead the way.

Always look over your shoulder,
Costia Reyonova'

The brunette sighed when she rested her head against the wall, she was nervously playing with the ring on her right hand. Natasha grabbed the letter from her lap, reading it for a second time. "Let's go." Costia said as she stood up quickly, having no time to waste.

Natasha could see she was very worried and nervous about all of this, about still not knowing if her brother was alive or not. It bothered her that Dreykov still had so much control over her even though he was dead.

The walk back inside the house was quite and not as fast as when they went outside. Natasha wanted to give her wife some space to think about all of this, maybe process it. Costia put the key in the lock of the chest and it opened with a creak.

"That's..." Natasha mumbled when she saw just a small box inside the chest, nothing around it. "Simple."

Costia shook her head as she inspected the object. She knew herself and her past self. "Simple" wasn't something she would do. There had to be some kind of trap, nothing too complicated. Costia only had a short amount of time to build this.

"No." the brunette mumbled. "It's probably not."

Natasha watched as Costia checked all sides of the chest for any abnormality. "There." she said as she pressed a specific place on the chest. A light on the box turned green and a recording started to play.

"Amazing, you're alive." a female voice said, it sounded like Costia but younger. "Remember where we always used to go on vacation? And remember the nice family we met in 1993? Remember where they came from? And what home they told us about?" the recorded voice said. "Go there."

Natasha glanced at Costia, hoping she really remembered these things. But the blonde couldn't read her face, she just looked confused. "What's wrong?"

"And go now." the voice recording ended.