introvert • [soobin]

Quiet people and introverts are very talkative in front of the right people.

•••

As an introvert, you are very observant and would notice the tiniest changes in everyone. May it be their tone of voice or their whole vibe, and you liked it that way.

But that also meant feeling that sense of emptiness when you were suffering and with no shoulder to rest your head on. Nobody to ease the aching emotions you had.

People would often come to you and approach you so quickly in ways that would overwhelm you. They tell you that you're a good listener but never speak once they'd ask you about your own stories.

You didn't speak because you loved being alone. In a quiet room, you had your life.

But what is it that people wanted to know about you? Were you supposed to tell them more?

It was something you couldn't quite understand, yet it felt so liberating when Soobin let you talk without questioning your personality.

"Was your day good? Tell me about it." He would say such a simple statement every time he saw you.

"My day was bearable, at the very least." And every time, you would reply with a growing smile.

For once you could breathe, you felt free from everybody's stories weighing you down.

Soobin also lived a very quiet life, you and him were alike in many ways, but one thing you liked was the fact that he chose to be friends with you while he was also struggling with being an introvert.

He hated that aspect of him, in fact, you hated it as well because you knew you could never reach that point of being comfortable with yourself that you could simply talk to people.

Though something you couldn't shun was that it was possible to be alone without feeling lonely. Enjoying your own company.

Slowly, you gave yourself the freedom and the experience of something scary to you, speaking your mind when it felt right to do so.

However, the truth is that from social gatherings to little conversations made you succumb to your inner child-like self that couldn't bear to speak up for herself nor could she be healed when needed most. You turned to yourself, as if you were the only other person that could understand.

Time and time again, Soobin proved you wrong. He was so gentle, and so good at making you feel like you don't have to constantly impress him.

•••

You were sat crisscrossed on the grass in the outfield next to your school for its annual field day.

There was a lot of noise and excitement all around  while you stayed at the very back, far from anything that needed you to interact with anyone.

"Hey Y/n, when are you playing?" A voice asks you.

"I'm not sure." You retreat a step before familiarity strikes you.

"Soobin!" Your eyes had seemed to glow when he made eye contact.

"You seem happy." His voice was flat yet warm at the same time.

You move a few steps so you were standing next to him, noticing the way he towered over you without trying.

"Have you played yet?" You ask him with a small nudge to his side.

"No. And I don't really want to." Soobin replies with a quiet sigh.

"I'm not looking forward to doing anything either." You support his answer completely as you both hated to be social.

Soon, a few people approached with huge confident strides that you envied. Sometimes you'd wonder whether you could even pretend to be like them.

"Would you guys like to join our relay group?" A very bubbly and lively girl asks you two.

She was looking at you but Soobin saw you in a trance whilst finding the words to say. "We're alright. Thank you though." He says calmly, but it was only to your eyes that could see how nervous he was.

After that small interaction, you two looked at each other and smiled, passing time by as other groups began and finished relay races in the midfield.

Soobin and you were against a tree, observing everyone else while the spades of wind ran through your hair.

Occasional glances from Soobin were all you got apart from comments either of you two would make.

Whenever you two spend time together, it is most often spent in neat silence that spoke so many words. It wasn't that you couldn't or didn't know how to speak, it was just Soobin's bare presence that comforted more than a bit of you.

"You know, I'm very selective about who I'm open with." You began, urging Soobin to face you. "I'm selective when it comes to making friends." You expected your breathing to be tight, heavy.

Instead it was light and easy, at liberty of passive comments and looks.

"To be honest, I never got why you would want to befriend me. I can only view the way things work silently, as that is how I am and choose to be. So, why?"

"Why do you look down on yourself?" He replied with a simple expression, and it was all it took for you to understand. It was all you needed.

"People are quick to judge when I just hang out in a corner, everyone is quick to say 'you're boring'. So when I saw you, I thought it was hard on you too." He told you with a soft smile. The one you loved to see.

You were at peace, not alone this time. This time it was a feeling completely new to you, and Soobin will always be the first person you turn to.