this time • [hueningkai]

Two old friends may meet again in their lifetime, wearing matured faces, realizing their need for more than reminiscing.

•••

It's been a couple crazy years for you ever since you graduated high school. Letting go of things that were a part of you, and knowing that you couldn't get them back.

At this point, you had been working at an accounting firm which required most if not all your effort. Causing you to stray far from your past social, party heavy life. You did your job well and your coworkers would even tell you how close you were to a promotion even though you were so young.

This was the best for you, as you thought fit. Friends would often contact you, and as many times as they'd ask, you denied their request to go out. Your whole life was basically surrounding your work etiquette at your accounting firm job.

Everything was fine, until a regular afternoon shift when you were on a late lunch break by yourself. Freely roaming the street across the company's building that was full of life and places you could eat at.

A face you remember so fondly, one that disappeared out of your life, suddenly became visible again just a few steps away now when before it was a milestone until you could reach him.

Kai Huening.

He was with two of his friends as far back as you could remember in high school. The rest of them went to separate ones apart from where you and Kai attended, but they too were your friends.

Luckily, you kept your composure and exited the vicinity, entering a small family owned café restaurant. Though you couldn't have anticipated that they would've entered that same café you just did. A couple taps on your shoulder and you wished you were back in the company building, doing your work.

"Y/l/n Y/n?" An old classmate of yours says to you. "It is her!" Just by the voice you could tell who it was before you could see his face.

"Taehyun don't overwhelm her like that." Choi Beomgyu was a year older and whom you've always looked up to, comes around the tiny coffee table you were sat at.

Just then, the face you've wished so hard to not see back into your life appears behind one of them, with dyed blue hair and a gorgeous face.

"Kai..." Was all you could utter after the three of them gathered as a bunch around your table.

"How have you been? Y/n?" Beomgyu asks you, a familiar feeling passing through you.

"I've been okay. It's been a while hasn't it?" You say. "How are you guys?"

"We've been good, just doing what we love." Beomgyu replies but your eyes trace someone else's face.

"As idols, right?" You felt pathetic after saying this, as this career was the reason why your heart was broken.

"Yeah. Idols." Kai finally speaks up, his voice flowing soundly through your chest.

"It was nice seeing you guys again. But I have to go now." You get up from your seat and push your chair in, noticing the way Kai intently stared at you.

They all wave to you but one of them feels in grief in your absence, because for once after a long time, he was finally able to see you again.

After seeing Kai that day in what felt like centuries, your mind couldn't focus on anything else but him. You loved it as much as you hated it.

•••

You've lost a lot of friends, your trust had been broken a lot, and you weren't at a good mental state. There was no room to create any more relationships because of how much trouble you believed it was to maintain. This was why you practically encased yourself in work, you felt so vulnerable and frail.

So oftentimes when other staff members who've became friends of yours laughed and ate with each other, you sat at your desk writing nonsense. Whenever there was a company networking event or social gathering, you'd laugh with everyone but still avoid communication as much as possible.

However much you tried to work, memories with Kai only flooded your mind. He went away after high school to pursue being a trainee at BigHit at the time, now an idol. And it was simple to say that you needed him back as more than a friend.

Even so, something had changed within what you considered ordinary.

It was your birthday on that day and you decided to treat yourself at the same café restaurant where you saw Kai. You had gifts in hand from coworkers which even then warmed you, as they acknowledged your birthday. You enter the café, bittersweet aroma pleasing your senses.

A tall man with his back facing you is waiting in line, same blue hair, and the same emotions rushing through you. You knew immediately.

You were on your way to talk to him, but stopped yourself, making your way to an open table instead.

"Y/n?"

"Yes?" You turn, facing Kai.

"Let's try again? This time I'll stay, I won't let you go."
And at that, it was simple to say that your feelings for each other had never changed, just subsided.

How were you to know you'd have wished for more than reminiscing, how much did he hope for the same?

Only he could answer that, and you thought hard about whether or not to take his offer. Eventually, you did so.

Maybe this time, love won't end between the two of you.