Lunchtime and Suspicions

Sebastian was met with certain dread as he walked into the lunch room. He saw Bella sitting with the self-proclaimed popular girl, a nerdy girl, a stereotypical jock, and the newspaper guy from that morning. He sighed, knowing he was going to lose time and brain cells that he would never get back. He slowly meandered over to the table and sat down right next to Bella, surprising her new friends. Bella smirked a little at her friend's reactions.

"Jessica, Angela. This is my brother Sebastian. He's a senior." Bella introduced them.

"Hi! It's sooo nice to meet you! Are you the one who came in on the motorcycle this morning?" Jessica asked energetically.

"Yeah," Sebastian answered shortly.

"Cool, I'm Angela, but you already know that." Angela introduced herself.

"Nice to me -" Sebastian started to say.

"Who are they?" Bella interrupted.

Jessica turned to see who Bella was talking about.

"Oh, that's the Cullens. They're all Dr. Cullen and Mrs. Cullen's like foster children that they adopted. They moved here from Alaska a few years ago. They mostly keep to themselves.
Okay, so the blonde and the big dark-haired one? That's Rosalie and Emmett. They're like together together. It's really weird." Jessica gossiped.

"Jess, they're not actually related." Angela tried to defend.

"I know, but they live together, and it's weird." Jessica insisted.

"Couples move in and live with each other all the time. What's so weird about that?" Sebastian interjected.

Jessica looked surprised at Sebastian, not expecting him to interject. She then recollected herself and continued to gossip about the Cullens.

Then, a short, pixie-like girl came bouncing in, her arms wrapped around an arm that belonged to a tall, skinny guy with shoulder-length ginger hair. The girl noticed Sebastian and gave him a bright smile and a happy wave. Sebastian responded by giving her a small salute.

"So the next couple is Alice and Xavier. Alice is the little dark-haired girl, and she's like, super weird. Xavier is the redhead and is just as weird as she is. They're meant for each other, I guess." Jessica giggled.

Sebastian glared at Jessica, daring her to say the word weird again. He had met Alice and Xavier in art class that morning, and they had all become fast friends. Well, Alice had immediately introduced herself and declared they were friends. Sebastian didn't mind the two, but he preferred Xavier's quiet nature over Alice's bubbliness.

"Who're they?" Bella prompted.

Sebastian looked away from Jessica and saw a tall bronze-haired guy and a slightly shorter blond striding through the lunch room. Jessica watched the bronze haired guy enter like a love-struck puppy. Sebastian was too preoccupied with studying the blond. He could see that the blond was uncomfortable with being in the lunch room and felt a twinge of sympathy.

"That's Edward Cullen and Jasper Hale. They're the only two in the family that are single. Edward is gorgeous, obviously, but no one in the school seems to be good enough for him. Like seriously, don't even try." Jessica informed the group.

"I won't," Bella said unconvincingly.

"Jasper always looks like he's in pain. I don't know why, but he's always tense and uneasy around people. He's also Rosalie's twin brother." Angela observed.

"Being in crowds of any size makes him uncomfortable," Sebastian muttered.

Angela nodded in agreement, and lunch continued. Sebastian noticed that Edward kept staring at Bella, and Bella kept looking back at him. Sebastian knew immediately that his sister had a crush on Edward. He then noticed that the mysterious blond, Jasper, kept staring at him with confusion in his eyes. Sebastian made direct eye contact with him and widened his eyes slightly. Jasper jumped and looked away. Sebastian smirked at the confirmation he had just made.

At the Cullen table, Alice saw that Jasper flinched and looked down. She stared at him until he noticed and looked up at her.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Alice asked, concerned.

"I'm alright, just surprised, I guess," Jasper muttered.

That got the whole family's attention. Rosalie slightly shifted in her seat to get a better look at Jasper.

"What do you mean surprised?" Rosalie asked.

"What I mean is, I couldn't feel his emotions at all. Until he looked at me. It was like a dam openin and I felt a rush of bottled-up emotions for a split second. Then it stopped." Jasper explained.

Everyone's eyes widened in confusion, well, except for Alice, who was smiling and nearly bouncing in her seat. Xavier smiled softly at his mates' excitement. Jasper looked at her, and Alice took it as a cue to explain her lack of worry.

"Long story short, Jasper, you just made eye contact with your mate!" Alice whispered excitedly.

"What?" Everyone was shocked.

"I didn't want to spoil the surprise, so I made Edward promise not to tell." Alice explained.

There wasn't any more time to ponder Alice's revelation. The lunch bell ran, and the lunch room emptied. The Cullens were one of the first groups out and on their way to their last classes. Sebastian watched them as they left. They all moved way too gracefully for teenager, and some of their movements seemed to be practiced.