Sebastian Plays Pretend

Edward got into the driver's seat, and Sebastian and Jasper went in the back. While they were driving, Sebastian prepared himself to talk to Charlie. They reached the Swan's driveway, but before Bella could get out, Sebastian stopped her.

"Just go up to your room. I'll explain things to dad. Edward, stay in the car." Sebastian said.

Bella nodded and quickly got out. Sebastian made sure he was mimicking Bella's eye color and body heat. He followed her into the house, and Charlie was standing in the living room trying to figure out Bella's behavior. Sebastian came in, and he looked at him for an explanation.

"Bella's just really homesick. She wants to go to Jacksonville for a few days to visit. Nothing's wrong. She just needs to see Renée. She already got the tickets for us, and they're nonrefundable." Sebastian lied.

"Okay, I guess I get it. Is that Cullen kid treating her right?" Charlie asked.

"Yes, they're fine, dad. He's just waiting in the car to take Bella to the airport." Mae continued.

"Are you going with her?" Charlie inquired.

"Yeah, I'll be staying with her, just to make sure she's okay. I'll keep you updated." Sebastian answered.

"Stay safe, okay? I don't want to lose either of you." Charlie requested.

"Of course, dad. You know that it's trouble that finds us, not the other way around." Sebastian said with a laugh.

Charlie joined in as Bella hurried down the stairs, bags in hand. She nodded to Sebastian, and Sebastian went and hugged Charlie before leaving. They got back in the car and started driving. Sebastian could hear Bella's heart thumping and knew he that he didn't have Carlisle's experience or practice in being around humans. He needed to hunt before he went crazy and did something stupid.

He simply gestured to Jasper what he was going to do, then he opened the door and jumped out of the car. Bella let out a small scream of surprise at Sebastian's actions, then calmed down when she realized that Sebastian was fine. Edward let out a small laugh at Bella's reaction.

"You do realize that Seb's faster than this car at its top speed, right?" Edward said.

"I'm just not used to him jumping out of a car and being perfectly fine. I'm still processing that he's healthy and pain-free, Bella replied.

"It'll take awhile condsierin' he's not healthy, he's a vampire. Sebastian's different now. He's still your brother, though." Jasper added.

As Jasper finished, Sebastian jumped in through the roof, looking satisfied. There was one drop of blood from the corner of his mouth. He quickly licked it and got comfortable. Jasper rested his head on Sebastian's chest, letting out a content sigh. Bella had to look away so she wouldn't get jealous. The drive was silent as Bella slept. Sebastian figured out that he could communicate mentally with anyone he chose.

"The tracker is going to figure out that we've been fooling him." Sebastian said to Edward and Jasper.

"Well, then it's a good thing that you got his ability. You'll be able to smell him coming a lot sooner." Edward replied.

"Edward's right, your gift is amazin' Darlin. Bella's in good hands with you as a brother." Jasper complimented.

The three of them continued to talk until they got to Jacksonville. Sebastian kept Bella asleep and carried her into the hotel room.