For the Sake of Love

Jayden closed her eyes and took a deep breath.  When she opened them, all uncertainty was replaced with rage and steely determination. "I won't give you a sliver of chance of surviving and I certainly won't let you just sit in jail. That would be too lenient. I hope you rot in hell," she said as she slowly put more pressure on the trigger.

_____________________

 "Jayden don't do it!" I yelled.

 "And just why not?!" Jayden yelled, clearly still enraged from everything he had put her though.

 "Because you'll regret it. Even if you hate him, every detail will haunt you in every waking moment and in your sleep: the splatter of his blood all over the floor, his limp and lifelessness body, even the sound of his last breath. Just trust me on this. You don't want to be the reason for someone's death," I said, thinking about the nightmares I had over Baxter's death.

 She gritted her teeth and squeezed the handle of the gun angrily.  "Believe me Jayden, it won't help. It'll torment you more than it'll make you feel better."

 She sighed and lowered the gun. She took a few more calming breaths before standing up.  "Okay...but then what do we do with him? I still want to skin him alive."

 Garrett remained quiet. He didn't beg for his life or demand to be let go.  I suspected his pride kept him from doing so.  If he feared losing his life it was clouded by the anger in his eyes.  His blood was really beginning to pool around him.

 "Maybe we can just let him bleed to death?" Jayden suggested.

"I—," Fiorella cleared her throat. She didn't finish her sentence and instead cautiously walked over to Garrett and kneeled down. She placed the handgun behind her and Damon shifted a bit to give her some more space. Tears welled up in her eyes. She inhaled sharply and moved Garrett's hair off his forehead. Garrett looked curiously at her. She moved her face close to him and stared straight into his eyes.

Her breaths became shorter and shakier. "I loved you so much. Why wasn't I enough for you?"

Garrett sneered and looked away. "Please, as if you would ever be enough for me."

"I used to be enough."

"That was a long time ago. I've changed since then."

I really wanted to give Fiorella and Garrett space to talk one last time but I knew we couldn't afford to do that or he would run.

 "And despite how much you changed, I still unconditionally loved you. You put me through hell and I have the scars to prove it. I hoped every day that something would happen and you would snap out of it, wake up to reality, and be your old self again. But all you did was use me. When I saved you I really hoped you would change and you would slowly go back to normal. But I realize now that you will probably never be the same person I fell in love with ever again.  You should know by now that there's no way you're getting away now. You'll either spend the rest of your life in jail, or..." her voice softened a bit, "you can die here."