Damon's POV

THIS IS A SHORT PART TO ACCOMPANY THE LAST CHAPTER.

Damon’s POV

Without a will or a family to track him to, most of Baxter’s things were sent to me, the majority of which I was disinterested in save for one already opened envelope addressed to me in my father’s handwriting. I pulled the letter out, unprepared for what its contents could possibly hold. The letter was dated on the very day I had found out my father had passed away from his second stroke (the first I had not been informed of until after his passing when I had spoken to his doctor).

Damon,

My time here is hastily fading away which is probably of little concern to you, and you are undoubtedly justified in your feelings towards me. I only wish I could have sat down and had this talk with you in person, but I know you would be very stubborn in not wanting to see me, and there simply isn’t enough life left in me to wait. You’ve always resented me and I’ve never given you any reason not to. I don’t blame you. I haven’t been the doting father I should have been, but before I leave I would like to make a few things clear to you.

Although you resent Vanguard Technologies, over the years I have seen great potential in you. Initially, I did not even give any thought to passing the company down to you due to your lack of interest in the matter altogether. In fact all the arrangements I had made to pass the company down to Baxter, I threw out the window only a few months ago. I realized that it was not the company you were so dispassionate about, but rather what the company had turned me into. Secondly I see purity in your heart that is largely lacking in Baxter’s. As Baxter has matured he has lost much of his innocence which I unfortunately may have indirectly caused. I see myself in Baxter and I fear that Baxter may make many mistakes for the selfish purposes of material gain. I advise that you should keep a close eye on him. You may not be able to trust him as you once did.

I also wrote this letter to apologize for ruining our family. What I caused by neglecting you and your mother is unforgivable. I just want you to know that I realize my errors. If I had simply given you and especially your mother more attention I could have prevented this whole mess I created. Maybe then your mother wouldn’t have had to go to another man to love her. Maybe then Baxter wouldn’t have been born and feel as an outsider as he does. Maybe then you would have come to visit me at the hospital. I had become so obsessed with my work and raising Vanguard Technologies to the top that I missed out on the beauty and happiness of raising a family. I hope that by passing the company down to you, you won’t make the same mistakes I made.

Lastly, son, something I wish I could have told you in person, is that I love you. You may find that to be an outrageous statement. How could anyone love someone they barely spent time with and got to know? I wish I had spent more time with you, but I did make sure to watch you carefully as you grew up. When you were much younger, every night when you were fast asleep, I would carefully tiptoe into your bedroom room, hold you in my arms, and kiss you. My father had never shown me much affection either, so I felt that I shouldn’t have made my love for you open. It embarrasses me even now to tell you, but I just wanted you to know before I pass away that I did care about you.  

Love,

Your father

            As I read the letter for the fourth time, a single tear escaped and made its way down my cheek which I hastily rubbed away. I set the letter down on my desk and leaned back in my chair. Running my hand through my hair and let out a deep sigh.  I can’t believe Bax kept this from me all these years.

“Damon, dinner is ready,” Nadya said through the intercom system.

“Alright, I’ll be down in a moment,” I replied. I stood up from my chair and straightened myself up before walking out into the library area. I half expected to see Alaure sprawled out on the couch reading a book and felt somewhat disappointed by the emptiness. I walked over to the stand next to the couch and found the last few books she had pulled out and read.

The familiar cover of that Pride and Prejudice book stood out from the rest of the stack. I picked it up and flipped it open to that memorable first page. To Clover. Chloe. I grunted, shut the book, and tossed it back down on the table. I didn’t even know what to think of Chloe anymore.

How much of her love was a lie? It all felt real, but our love felt tainted now that I knew she had initially worked with Baxter to help him get information from me. Not to mention, she may have still been with him at the beginning of our so-called relationship. I didn’t have hard feelings against her though. I believed she did love me, but just knowing the backstory seemed to take away from the purity of our relationship. She had in a small way broken my trust in her, but I was almost grateful. It was just the shove I needed. I could finally, in many ways, rest in peace. I no longer felt the burden I felt when I thought I had been the reason Chloe had been murdered that day. I no longer felt that tug on my heart to return to her. I no longer felt weighed down from old guilt, but instead was burdened by a new guilt.

I finally made my way out of the library and stopped at the top of the stairs. I looked around the house and listened to the absence of sound. This giant house was so incredibly large and lonely without Baxter, but even more so without Alaure. It was like she brought life to this dusty old house. She became a vital part of it and without her…it was lifeless. 

Hi *waves hand* I've been feeling really guilty about this story, so I've been trying really hard to try and write more. Please give me a little feedback and let me know what you all think. I feel like I'm loosing my touch. 

Oh and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of you who have stuck with me this far and my crazy, erratic uploading "schedules" .