CH3. Preparation.

After hastily leaving the casino, I arrive home.
Home being a broad name. The closest thing to a home would be my dorm in the agency, yet on a mission my home changes frequently.

The home of Elise Barrington however, a high rise condo overlooking the city skyline. The condo decorated by the agency to follow a transitional traditional style that suits Elise. The decoration following neutral colours. Furniture consisting of cream and different types of beige, dark walnut accenting with high ceilings. The large windows showcasing the night sky and city lights in the distance.

Showered and changed into oversized knit pajamas. Brushing my hair, my eyes scan over the hologram screen in front of me, going over information regarding the target.

"You play your files well. Almost too well." I whisper.

The look in his eyes come back to me. His stares were amused, charmed, intrigued, but beyond all-they were calculating.

He was unreadable, not a wrinkle or twitch that disclosed any truth. His eyes were decipherable-only to the extent of knowing there were thoughts in his mind. However, the topic of what he was ruminating on, were impossible to discern.
His thought process didn't seem like Elise Barrington was on his mind-they could've been about his businesses for all I know-but for how much attention he gave, and the reactions he did show-I was apart of his mind.

Did he suspect me already?
A man as secretive like him would surely be suspicious of anyone who appears before him. It's impossible that he figured I was an agent. A man who focuses on himself-who focuses on 'clawing' his way to the top like he spoke about-wouldn't be able to notice a trained agent.

My phone rings, the vibrations bringing me out of my thoughts.
It's not a simple phone call like you would expect from a friend or family, but a call from the only one who would dare to contact me at this hour, Mister Ben.

Hitting a few keys on my laptop, I make myself comfortable on the brasilia chaise by the window of my bedroom. The screen goes black until codes appear, followed by a loading symbol.
Ben appears on my screen.
Wearing a navy suit, his long wavy brown hair and his almond shaped grey-green eyes greet me with the same professional, charming smile he always wears.

"How was the meeting?" He asks.
"I was able to catch the target's eyes, playing the role of a 'little lost bunny' searching for my friend." I give a coy smile, my tone playful but professional.
"Care to make note of anything?"
"The target made a move and approached. He offered a drink and I kept him company, ensuring I left a favorable impression of the beguiling, Miss. Barrington."
"Smitten already?"
"Not even a possibility. The day a man like him is smitten, is the day Hell will break loose. He's as cunning as the files say and not going to be an easy target."
"Take a safe approach to keep on our plan for now. If an opportunity to get close to him arrives off plan, take it."
"Understood."
"You're the only agent I can rely on for this, I would hate to see you throw the towel in."
"Can't break my streak, now can I?"

Ben chuckles, giving a nod.
Sharply sucking a breath in through his teeth, he grins-almost mockingly-before his tone changes into teasing.
"Don't let this bet that you and Nova have, get in the way."
"Nova's not a threat. Lady Nova's behind by three, how can I be worried?" My tone higher than usual, portraying Elise Barrington's coy-yet elegant-mannerism.
"Agent Nova can make up that space while you're stuck in this one. I would hate to see my best agents in a petty fight and exposing yourselves."
"Nothing of the sort will happen."
"Mhm, and the Cairo incident?" Ben gives a coy grin, his eyes sharpening.
"Cairo was the agency's fault. If you're going to assign two agents in the same location, you should notify them."
"Under the circumstances, we figured if your paths crossed, you would be cordial with another. We never thought you'd turn on each other." He shrugs his shoulders, his expression dramatically surprised.
"One of the main lessons is to never trust anyone. From our perspectives we saw each other as traitors."
"Disturbing a mosque though?"
"You knew very well the drop was happening there. The convoy was leaving with the target, and Nova got in my way."
"Yes, but arguing during adaan was something the both of you knew not to do. The amount of citizens who witnessed your squabble was enough to terminate your contracts. You're lucky I decided against it, seeing it was simply a small miscommunication."
Giving a scoff, I rake my fingers through my bangs.
"I wasn't the one who drew my weapon first. Nova has nothing to do with this mission, so try not to fret too much, Darling Ben. I'll act accordingly till it's completed."
"I trust you. Don't let the wager fuel you to rush it."
"Understood."
"I sent you your schedule. Don't be late for the appointments."

With that, Ben ends the call.
Looking at my laptop, I see the week planned diligently to prepare me for the mission. Acting lessons, makeup sessions, spa days, training, meetings, and fittings. Compared to the other missions, this one's an easy preparation.

Pampered, and learning to do my makeup in a way Miss. Barrington would do, I easily make my way through the first few days.
Before I know it, the meeting days arrive.

Sitting across from me in my condo-Meredith Caine.
Her voluminous sleek blonde hair, large honey amber eyes, and lips that sit in a subtle pout. Dressed in an elegant knit skirt and turtleneck, she sits on the tufted couch with a coffee mug in hand.

"Elise, it's been a while. Who might this be?" She smiles, taking a sip of her coffee as she looks to the man on my left.
Giving a small chuckle, I lift my espresso cup.
"Miss. Caine, we're secured." I speak, enjoying the aroma of the coffee.
"I see. Then, shall we begin?" Her overly friendly act drops, growing comfortable by my words.

The man by my side is Dal. The agency's top beauty instructors and 'script' makers. He's attending the first meeting between Miss. Caine and I, to ensure we understand the history we were meant to play.

"Alright, have you kiddos studied?" He asks enthusiastically.
"Of course." I reply, savoring the espresso that lingers on my tongue.
"I've done my best." Miss. Caine replies.
"Sheesh, you two may not be friends, but you should get used to being close." Dal rolls his eyes, laughing at us.
"This is the first time we've met. I'm sure it'd be uncomfortable to act as such in the first meeting." Miss. Caine speaks, crossing her legs.
"I agree. However Dal is correct." I interject, "The target we're dealing with is a man who's worryingly sharp. He'll see through our lies if you falter your act, even by a mere twitch of your brow, or a slight abnormality in the pattern of your breathing."
"Miss. Caine, I apologize if this is uncomfortable, but during this meeting, I would like you to treat our agent the same as you treat your friends."
Miss. Caine closes her eyes, thinking about what Dal and I said.

Weighing the benefits of personally assisting UNS, the curiosity she seems to posses of watching an agent work, and the cons if she becomes a liability to the mission seem to go through her mind.
The corner of her lips curl into a pleased, dubious smile as she arrives to the conclusion.

"You're right. I can only ask for your patience while I try to grow comfortable."
"Of course. Shall we begin?" I look over to Dal.

The session continues for hours as Dal tests us on our history; how we met, where we met, our interests, and our family lines. Of course-none of it revealing anything of my personal life-only about Miss. Barrington's history.

"It seems you both know the facts. But Miss. Caine, it seems like you're not feeling it just yet." Dal tilts his head, analyzing Miss. Caine's body language.
She sighs.
"I apologize. I'm struggling to play the part of a friend."
"It's okay that you're unable to do so. It's more than enough you've agreed to help this case, but we still have to rely on you to play the part when necessary." I speak, filling her water glass.
"I only find this to be cumbersome since my other friends will be there. I can treat you the same as them, can't I?" She sighs again, taking a sip of the water.
"No, no, no!" Dal shakes his head, giving a dramatic 'X' with his arms, "He's not a man to blatantly fool. He'll see the distance you have with Elise. You two need to get acquainted more."
"I was raised to treat strangers politely, if it's adequate enough, I can mimic the speech I use with friends."
"But that's why it's easy to see the distance." Dal shakes his head, thinking about the situation.
His eyes light up, giving an ecstatic smile.
"Girlfriends should spend quality time together." He says.
"And... How do you plan on doing that within four days?" Miss. Caine questions.
Giving me a pleased look, he claps his hands together.
"A sleepover!" He exclaims.
"A sleepover?" She repeats.
"Miss. Caine, I apologize. It seems the session will continue longer than planned. Is that alright with you?" I ask.

She pauses, her mind seeming to review her schedule, and curiosity to what this sleepover could entail.

"I'll move some appointments around. I wish to be useful to you, so I'll go along with what's necessary."
Dal shakes her hands rapidly, overly excited.
"Oh, Miss. Caine, you won't regret this one bit! You two are gonna have so much fun!"

Chuckling to myself as I watch Dal's joy and Miss. Caine's startled expression, the sleepover begins.