CH4. Prelude Of Tricks.

Laying side by side, Miss. Caine and I receive deep tissue massages. The room filled with a subtle lavender fragrance, and gentle classical music playing from the speakers.
Calling beauticians from the agency, Dal decided to pamper us for our sleepover.

"I apologize for how overwhelming this may be for you." I speak, feeling the tension release from my shoulders.
"I understand that I'm a vital part in your mission. I'm only sorry I can't act well." Miss. Caine gives a small sigh of relaxation and shame.
"You're doing the best you can, so your efforts are shown. We simply need to act like true friends."
"I think it may be difficult because I'm not sure who Elise Barrington is."
"I suppose I haven't gotten far in developing Miss. Barrington. Shall I play the part?"
Miss. Caine turns her head, looking at me from the side.
"No. I want you to be yourself, before you have to devote yourself to Miss. Barrington for months."

Taking in her words for a moment, I simply smile at the kindness she seems to show for me and not just Elise Barrington. An alarm goes off in my mind as I begin to mentally prepare against the empathy she has for me.

"Miss. Caine, please address me as Elise." I calmly say.
"As Elise?"
"Yes. Since accepting the mission I've been addressed as an agent and Miss. Barrington. I think for the two of us, it'll help us if I permanently remained Miss. Barrington."
"Yes... I suppose it may help. I'd be lying to say I wasn't curious about who the agent in front of me is. For professional sake, it'll be best to not confuse my curiosity for the agent, and the care I should have for a friend like Elise."
"I'm to play Elise Barrington for months. A week earlier won't be a hindrance on me."
"Well then, Elise, please call me Mary."
"Mary?"
"Yes. It's a name only those close to me use."
"It's beautiful. It seems you cherish it dearly."
"Yes, my great grandmother was the only one who called me Mary."
"Shall I reserve it for private use?"
"Maybe in private, but for your purpose, in earshot of the target. Do try to refrain from saying it in front of the other ladies. They may become jealous from the appearance of my 'childhood' friend." Meredith giggles, closing her eyes to enjoy the massage.
"Understood, Mary."
I join her, closing my eyes to bask in the luxurious spa time.

Sitting on the terrace-the city emanating sounds of the lively nightlife-we clink our wine glasses together, basking in the ambience of the moon gently rising in the horizon.

"So Elise, has it been easy to find your 'personality', so to speak?" Meredith asks.
"Somewhat. Dal gave useful tips, but a target like him makes me question what to solidify my persona as."
"I'm surprised agents have a lot of road blocks."
"It wouldn't be fun if we didn't. However, this is the first time I feel as if I'm staring into a void, unable to even see a speck of dust, let alone the path I should take."
"Shall I help so agents can avoid this hassle?"
"Please don't strain yourself Mary, you've given plenty."
"But if the UNS hires more coaches, agents won't need to struggle finding a character they need to play."

Meredith may have been a client but as a business view, she took the chance to financially support us. In return, out of all the supporters, the largest shareholder is the woman across me. She doesn't interfere with how UNS functions. Since shareholders can only be invited, they're well aware that since they're not agents or employees, they have no right to the knowledge about this world.
However, Meredith is given leniency. She can suggest ways to improve the workplace for employees, and won't be terminated from her seat, even if she knows a few secrets on how agents function.

"I can't say it would be easier. Agents are chosen if they can erase any trace of an original personality." I sip the Barolo, swirling the wine across my tongue.
"Is that a requirement?"
"Not necessarily, merely a benefit to employ an agent with that talent. However, though they prefer those agents, they're not strict since people are difficult. They have emotions, their own thoughts, but it's vital they set it aside to complete their mission. Someone could have no sentiment to a personality either, but it could provide to be quite cumbersome to frequently wear shoes 'too large or too small'."
"Is it the same with you?"

A snicker escapes my throat as I place the wine down.
Crossing my legs, my eyes meet her curious stare. Her mind's racing again with questions she has about the agency-more importantly about me.
The answers in my mind prepared, I slip into the role unnoticeably. The answers she desires to hear, teetering me on a line of gaining her trust or noticeably turning my back at her attempt on connecting with me.

"It's rare to have a sense of unfamiliarity with a persona. The roles I play are based off the generic stereotypes relating to a person. Someone frail, someone headstrong yet sensitive, someone cunning yet quiet. It always varies, but none of them feel strange to wear since they're traits humans can have." I reply in the tone of Miss. Barrington.
"I suppose it would be simple if you think about it like that. But that's all the more reason I wonder if I should speak with Ben about expanding the creative side."

Meredith is intelligent, but if a seasoned agent can't notice my transition into a disguise-she never will.

"If I asked you to play a part of a mother grieving the death of her child, yet underneath she's relieved because she doesn't need to feed another mouth, would it be easy to play the role fluently?"
"I want to say I could, but I know I won't be able to. I could sympathize and try to understand the true depth that position holds, but it would be hard since I haven't been in that situation."
"If you were given notes on ways to approach, to be a woman who holds a grasp on despair, yet a hint of cunning heartlessness, would it be easier?"
"It would be."
"The agency provides insight on emotions and traits that would benefit the mission. Referencing to the information they find, they let agents choose what character would be easiest to play to achieve the goal."
"I suppose I haven't thought about it like that. You agents always play roles well, but it just seemed easier to have a script written."
"It seems like that, however it's easier to play a character when you feel an attachment of sorts. We build that attachment ourselves, and connecting it with who we are, allows a seamless transition to who we should play."

The content look in her eyes is so noticeable, it's almost humorous how easily she can be read. Her body language as she lounges, sipping her wine and eating bites of the hors d'oeuvres are all relaxed.
Based off my answers, she feels comfortable with me now-but since I have no inkling to share who I really am-she's only comfortable with Miss. Barrington.

Sipping my wine, entertained with Meredith being too easy to read and trick, I'm reminded of the taste of negroni.
The target's eyes seeming to express emotion, but hiding every thought running through his mind. The way his body language seemed too relaxed and hid any correlation to his undetectable feelings. How his flirtatious actions can't be taken at face value, and if he was interested in Miss. Barrington romantically-or if it was suspicion.

The city lights and stars glimmering in my peripheral, engaging in conversation with Meredith, the taste of the hors d'oeuvres, and the scent of the lavender lingering on me-none of them have my focus.

My mind is stuck on the man who held true to the assumption of being a difficult target.
The way he was analytical, sharp, too kind compared to his files, and how his lips forcibly took mine with a tenderness.
Unconsciously, I wipe my lips with a napkin.

The kiss felt disgusting.
Every now and then, the memory of his soft warm lips returns to my lips-feeling as though I'm being kissed each time I remember it. How the feeling of surprise was forced onto me, how unnerved I felt leaving the casino, and how enraged it made me while I washed the scent of negroni and his cologne off of me.

All of the emotions that caused these unsettling feelings were due to it being the first time-throughout my successful career-I was unsatisfied with my recon.
It was enough to make me feel the subtle looming shadow of inadequateness, and the vague line of being pathetic.
These feelings only solidifies my motivation. He's a challenge I'm going to defeat-he's someone I need to break.