CH5. Beginning Of The Games.

The theme the lounge has chosen tonight, a dignified masquerade.
The mask I've brought for the recon, was nothing more than to show I confused the dates-tonight is the real night where everyone hides themselves.

The previous week was the lounge's regular theme of jazz, but this week proves to be more challenging.
A gown and mask to hide my identity, yet I need the target to approach me. A sense of worry falls upon my shoulders as my hair is styled.
With a mask on, the target surely won't recognize me. If he's wearing a mask as well, it'll provide to be difficult to find him-but the goal is to never approach the target first.

The target's a capricious one and if Miss. Barrington approached first, it would break the spell of the elusive fawn that entices a man like him. I'd lose worth-becoming the same as every other lady who throws themselves at his feet, only to be met with a brick wall.

A navy satin sheath gown, the bodice designed with a stiff corset, and fabric draping over my bosom. Draped sleeves that hang off my shoulders, the skirt long enough just to barely cover my toes-the silver open-toed heels peeking out. The waist wrapped with a dainty silver chain, decorated with petite moissanite diamonds. The train of the gown is long and extravagant, showing the front of the gown elegantly, and leads a dramatic contrast to the low cut back. Silver chains and pearl chokers are layered on my neck, and a dark navy colombina mask-decorated with lace and silver accents, disguising my identity.

The outfit is extravagant enough for the theme, but won't outshine other guests or the wearer tonight.
My eye drops spreading over my eyes, I stare at the woman in the mirror.
The voluminous high ponytail, and a few hairs pulled out to accent one side of my face. My eyeshadow is dramatic with a brown smokey look. My lips however, remain the same shade as always-Miss. Barrington's signature muted berry lipstick with a subtle gloss.

Miss. Barrington still radiates a gentle air of elegance, but tonight she has a hint of ferocity.

Stepping out of the luxury car, I repeat the process of having those around quickly attending their gazes onto me.
Assisted down to the Red Jade lounge, I follow my routine of analyzing the lounge for a few seconds. Unfortunately, some guests have already set their eyes on me-but this doesn't interfere with my plan-it only means I have a mere few seconds.
The lounge is entertained by a small orchestra as guests dance to the classical music. The lounge is decorated lavishly for the theme, making it seem like a different room than last time.

However, the target and his associates are nowhere to be found.
My eyes scan the room for the target, yet it's impossible to find him without drawing attention to my eyes searching the room. All the guests wearing masks varying from different styles, and the target's booth-empty.
Alas, the emptied glasses on the table filled with ice, the condensation left from the recently drunken cocktails, confirming that the target's present-the only question is where?

The employee returns, bowing his head.

"Madam Barrington, Madam Caine has already arrived. Would you like me to show you to the booth?" He asks.
"Yes, that'd be wonderful, thank you."

Led to the back of the lounge, a few booths away from the target's table. He bows, taking his leave once he guides me.

"Oh Elise! You look stunning!"
Getting out of the booth, Meredith takes my gloved hands in hers, giving a kind hold a friend would do.
"Meredith you look stunning as well!" I spin her, showing off her cream modified A-line gown, covered with diamonds.
"Here, let me introduce you!" She turns, gesturing towards me, "Ladies, this is my childhood friend I told you all about! This is Elise Barrington."
"Hello, it's nice to finally meet you. Meredith told me so much about her precious friends." I curtsy before holding my hand out across the table.

The ladies all give polite, welcoming smiles.
"This is Cossette Blake." Meredith begins introducing her friends one by one as I shake their hands, "This is Almeda Vidius, and Sumin Hayashi."
"Hello, I apologize for being late." I smile, sitting by Meredith.
"No need to apologize! We've just sat down." Miss. Hayashi smiles.
"We ordered Aperol Spritzes, is that okay with you?" Miss. Blake asks.
"Of course. I'll drink whatever you ladies are having." I say, smiling kindly.

The ladies ask me a few questions, and Meredith does an excellent job at subtly answering for me to show our closeness. I take the time to scan the lounge as if admiring the décor, but trying to find the target.
"Living all over Europe must have been wonderful! Wasn't it difficult to always move so much?" Miss. Blake asks.

The story behind Elise Barrington is that she spent the past twelve years in England, Norway, Italy, and Paris. It's to trick anyone who investigates Elise Barrington from her sudden appearance, and to fool Meredith's friends into believing our friendship is real. My sudden appearance in Meredith's life reasonable due to living overseas.

"It was fantastic. Though I was busy learning under my parents guidance, it did feel a bit difficult at times to adjust. But everywhere we went, the people I met always helped make it comfortable whenever we moved." I speak eloquently, giving a smile of one reminiscing on fond memories.
The servers place the cocktails in front of us, my fingers taking hold of the stem.

From the background checks, all of Meredith's friends seem to be 'new wealth'. Their families recently new to the high class life, but wealthy enough to mix with people like Meredith Caine's family line. Their new wealth makes it easier to lie about the places I've lived-since they have no connections with the wealthy families from Europe.

"Are you staying here long then?" Miss. Vidius asks.
"I hope so. I decided to pursue my own goals, so I should be able to live here for the next few years."
"Well, here's to the return of Meredith's friend, and to a night of luck!" Miss. Blake lifts her glass.
We clink our glasses amongst each others, and I take a sip of the cocktail-too sweet for my personal taste.

The ladies finish their cocktails quickly while they engage in conversation, until Meredith claps.
"Well, then. I think it's time to test our hands." She smiles.

I exit the booth, holding my hand out to help her stand.
The ladies all gather around a poker table, and the dealer in a black uniform bows. His face covered with a black volto mask, he gestures to the center of the table for the fee's.

"Oh, goodness. I forgot to grab my chips." I exclaim, watching the ladies beginning to set their chips down.
They carry their chips in small silver cases-easily exceeding over a million dollars.
"That's okay! We'll wait for you! The exchange is over there." Miss. Hayashi points to the tinted glass windows in the corner of the lounge.
"Do you want me to come?" Meredith asks.
"No, that's okay. Shall I get three?" I ask with a tone of casualness.
"Well, I got eight since I'm going to play a lot, but I'd say five is good to start with."
I nod, waving.
"I'll be right back."

Walking across the room, the lounge filled with partners dancing and guests talking, I gaze upon the room subtly, searching for the target again.
A small grin grows on my lips as I notice the man I need.

The stakes are high and the excited mood of the table evidently drew him in. His friends are a few steps away from him, chatting with a few ladies.
The target wears a black suit and colombina mask, but his air of salience-his sly amused grin-and his sharp analyzing eyes show through the disguise, catching my attention.
I solidify my plan, continuing my path to the exchange.

At the window, I insert a chrome card, drawing out five hundred thousand dollars worth of chips.
Due to the severity of the mission, UNS spared no expense in filling the bank accounts of Elise Barrington.
Based on how much the client paid for us, five hundred thousand doesn't even dent the amount for the consulting fees.
Taking the silver case, I notice the target at another table, watching the players.

My plan is set in motion as I set two brown chips onto the table.
"Shall we play?" I ask, a relaxed grin upon my lips.