Chapter 21 - Emma (Part 2)

POV ~ Emma

Emma was an outspoken girl. Always friendly towards everyone, loves the outdoors, has amazing parents but something has always seemed off.

Yes she has everything a child could wish for but she's sheltered. Her parents won't allow her to hang out with her friends at their homes or even watch tv.

They don't travel and she's homeschooled which really sucks because her friends never see her. She wishes that she can do more like other 6 year olds can.

Now granted, she's not a teenager and she gets that but hanging out with Jules and Liam and Logan made her realized that she did live a very sheltered life. She always thought every 6 year old was living like she did.

"Now, now hold up. Come on. You can't think I'm the one in the wrong. Look at Liam!" Jules yells, jumping off of the couch and looking at Logan.

This was always a day to day bases with these guys. It was always fun to see them play arguing with each other. Everyone knew it was for laughs and stuff like that.

"What about you big man? Who do you think is in the wrong?" Emma asks, looking towards the seven foot shadow man standing next to her. She named him Shadow because he was always just there. And say "seven foot shadow man" every time she talked to him or about him was getting annoying.

Jules even agreed. They also start calling him Shadow. Liam and Logan started calling him that just a few days ago and Kyle... we'll be doesn't really talk to him or about it. He kinda just ignores him.

Shadow grunts and keeps looking ahead. Not much of a talker. Emma reminds herself. It's not because Shadow doesn't like them, it just because he can't talk well or just can't talk at all. Either way Emma doesn't care and just likes his presence around.

"You know what? I'm done talking about this to all of you. I can't even believe that you wouldn't believe me if I said that."

"See, I would believe you. That's what makes this conversation funny." Logan says, looking towards Liam with a smile.

"I would as well." Liam adds, "kinda anyway."

"What were you guys fighting about again? It was so long ago of you guys bickering that I completely forgot." Emma says sarcastically, looking at Shadow for help. Shadow shrugs and keeps looking forward. 

"Not the time Emma." Jules says, then adds, "I actually don't even know what we were fighting about." 

"What shall we do today friends?" Liam asks, looking around the room.

"Ghost hunting?" Jules asks.

"With some of our friends?" Logan adds.

"With Amanda and Mackie?" Emma adds, looking at everyone. 

"We'll see. I think... Seth invited us somewhere that is happening in about two hours. Hold up, let me check." Pause, "Speak of the devil." Jules says, holding their phone up to see Seth is calling them. 

"Damn. Great timing." Liam chuckles.

"Hey Seth. What's up?" 

"Is everything okay?" 

"Yeah? Why?" 

"Well, me, Sam, and Colby were doing an investigation at the conjuring house and we were doing the estes method and it said 'Check', then 'Dying', then it said your name. We think that it was telling us to check on you and that you may be dying." 

...

"Jules? Does that mean anything to you?" 

"Yeah. I think I know what it's trying to say. Hold on." Jules hurries to the bathroom and checks their back with the others right in tow, "What the fuck?" Jules breathes out, looking at Liam with wide eyes. 

"What? Is everything okay?" Liam asks, stepping forward. 

"Jules? Jules?!" You can hear Seth yelling from the living room. 

"It's all the way up to my neck, wrapping around it. Hold on, Seth I'm going to need to call you back. Give me five minutes." Jules hangs up and quickly calls their doctor. 

"Jules! Hello! I hope everything is going well?" 

"It's not. What does it mean when the vines start wrapping around my neck?" 

...

"Doc?" 

"It's indicating that the end is near. It's letting you know that you don't have long. I suggest getting here as soon as possible. It won't be as painful with those fat balls gone." 

Jules chuckles, "Alright doc. Should I shave my head as well? So that way the hair doesn't get in the way." 

"It would be a lot easier. Your hair is going to fall out anyway, so it would be a good idea to maintain without having hair. That way it wont start randomly falling out in big chunks." 

"Alright. I can do that. Anything else?" 

"With this new information, I estimate that you have about one year left, if that. One thing you need to know, if you start throwing up or spitting blackness, call me immediately. That means that you have less then 72 hours left to live."

"Got it. Thank you, have a nice night." 

"You too child. Take care of yourself. These next few months are going to be hard on your body so when your body starts communicating that you need rest, take it."

"Alright. Bye doc." Jules hangs up and looks at the group with worried eyes. Everyone is thinking the same thing, they all know. But no one wants to say it. No one wants it to be true. 

"He says that means the end is near. He estimates that I have less than a year left to live and that these next couple of months are going to be hard." Jules says, after a few minutes of silence. Feeling a buzz from their phone, Jules looks down to see that Seth is calling them.

"Well? Is everything okay?" Seth asks, with Sam and Colby in the background talking. 

"No. Everything isn't okay. I called the doctor and he said that I'm going to be dead in less than a year. There is no more trying to stop this thing that is eating me alive from the inside out. Not anymore anyway." 

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry. If there is anything that I can do I most definitely will." 

"Thank the ghosts for saying that. If it wasn't for them telling you to check on me, I wouldn't have known this until it was too late."

"Of course. Call if you need anything. Take care. Goodbye." 

"Bye Seth." Jules says, hanging up and putting their phone down. In all of her years of being with the trio, Emma has never seen anything like this. She has never seen everyone so down and out of their original moods. 

But deep down, Emma knows that this is something that she is going to have to get used to. And it's going to be a very hard pill to sallow. 

~ End of Chapter ~

Word Count ~ 1134