Chapter 22 - Counting The Days

POV ~ Kyle

TW ~ Suicide, homophobic slurs

Two Weeks Later

"Jules!? Is everything okay?" Kyle can hear Logan yell from their room. Two weeks. Two weeks since they all found out. Two weeks of Jules locking themselves in their room. Two long and painful weeks.

The doctor was right about one thing, this is going to be hard on Jules's body. They can't even stand up without feeling like they're going to throw up, let alone eat anything. Each of them have been taking turns. Bringing Jules food, help if they need anything, and just sitting there with them.

It's been stressful for everyone. Jules already thinks they're going to die and has already told Liam everything that they're meant to do when, if, they pass. Everyone knows it's true, but none want to say anything.

The doctor warned everybody about the random mood changes from Jules. Everyone was told to just "go with the flow" and not think anything of it. The doctor said to enjoy the times that Jules is up and moving because there aren't a lot of those times left.

~~~~

"Let's go do something guys," Jules yells, bouncing into the living room, "I'm done staying in my room. Why don't we go exploring or hang out with some of our other friends?"

"Are you positive?" Liam asks, walking over to Jules.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason. What do you want to do specifically?" Logan asks, watching Jules carefully.

"I'm not sure. But-"

Ring

Ring

Ri-

"Hello?" Jules answers, looking at the group with confused looks.

...

"Yes this is she."

...

"Oh?"

...

Clang

"Jules?" Kyle whispers, walking up to his sister. Jules looks up, then looks back down at their phone. You can still hear the lady talking. Trying, but failing, to get some sort of response back.

"Yeah, hi sorry. I- I'm ba-back." Jules says, picking up the phone finally after a solid minute.

...

"Yeah. Um, okay. Thanks, I-"

...

"No, no. He's with me. Don't worry. Can... can you tell me how?"

...

"Fuck. I- do the doctors have any clue about the thing-"

...

"oh. I- No... I-I got the same thing. I thought it skipped her but-"

...

"No. He... he doesn't have it. I'm not sure but I think it ends with me? I- I mean my doctor estimated that I'll be dead in about a year from the same thing and-"

...

"oh. So it can develop later?"

...

"I used to think I got it from when I was sacrificed, long story, but that must have been what triggered it. Are you positive she's gone? From the same thing or like, because of the same thing?"