38. The Shifting Dilemma

The three friends came out of the corridor laughing and giggling. They made their way towards the cafeteria.

"A lawyer could never get rid of exams. Rather, I think that a lawyer has to remain a student throughout his life. If I am allowed to speak the truth, then my dear Jasmine , our studies in a real and appropriate manner would begin now. And so would our exams."Shehnaaz announced.

Jasmine made a face at Shehnaaz and answered, "Whatever it might be... but study for me is over for the time being. After all, I don't have to start my law practise immediately. Now that the tests are over, it's going to be a long vacation for me."

Asim was surprised. He wondered why Jasmine wouldn't begin her law practise after she graduated.
"What... a long vacation? But why?" He asked, confusingly.

By this time, they had reached the cafeteria and found a vacant table to sit down at. "What would you guys like to have?" Asim asked.

"Umm... a cup of hot chocolate latte for me," Shehnaaz replied. By this time, it had started to get a little cold and she preferred to have something hot to keep herself warm.

"I would be a sinner if I didn't order a cup of tea," Having said that, Jasmine glanced at Shehnaaz and winked at her.

"Am I right, Shehnaaz ?" she remarked and burst into laughter.

Shehnaaz was annoyed at her best friend. She lightly smashed her hand on her back and said, "Don't you know, it's sin to make fun of somebody's problems?" Jasmine burst into laughter all over again.

Asim remained clueless and could not understand the meaning behind the two girls' conversation, mocking, taunting, and laughing at each other. He could not contain his curiosity and questioned, "what's the matter? Why is Jasmine laughing so much?"

Shehnaaz glared at Jasmine and turned to Asim to reply to his question, "Umm... There's nothing special about it. It's just that she has gone mad. What would you have?"

"Ah... I would also have a cup of tea!" Asim asserted and thereafter placed the order for a cup of hot chocolate and two cups of tea.

He then attempted to revive the conversation from where it was left in the middle. "Yeah, so Jasmine ... What were you saying? It will be a long break... What does that mean? Wouldn't you start your law practise anytime soon?" Asim questioned it curiously.

Jasmine rolled her eyes at Asim .
"I am getting married next month and I won't be starting my practise soon after the wedding..duh... I have decided that I will enjoy my life to the fullest and then think about how and when to begin my law practice. Meanwhile, I have Aly with me to work and look after the expenses. He will provide for both of us, "she explained. Shehnaaz and Asim were listening attentively to Jasmine when she burst out laughing.

"I have never in my life heard a better future plan than this. Trust me, Jasmine ." Asim chuckled. Thereafter, he turned towards Shehnaaz and inquired, "And Shehnaaz ... what have you planned to do?"

Instead of answering his question, Shehnaaz and Jasmine glanced at each other when they heard Jack questioning Shehnaaz about her future plans.

'Now what am I supposed to say? I don't even have a proper answer to give to him. For a year, I will not be able to indulge in any of the work because have some prior commitments. I have to deliver this baby that I have in my womb. And therefore, I won't be able to begin my law practise anytime soon,' thought Shehnaaz , feeling miserable. Shehnaaz thought for some time and replied to his question,

"umm... actually, I have not given this a thought yet and have not planned anything as of now."

"You have not thought of anything yet. What does that mean? I hope you will start your practise..right?" Asim asserted.