68. Avoiding The Confrontation

<————««❃❃❃»»————>

<————««❃❃❃»»————>

Shehnaaz wanted to share her dilemma with somebody, but she had no one around her to speak to about the confusion echoing in her mind.

"Jasmine got married just yesterday, and it would not be appropriate to disturb her with my problems. Not at all. What do I do then? Whom do I speak to? Should I talk to Asim? Would he comprehend the complexity of the situation? No, he knows nothing about Sidharth. I might have to tell him the story right from the beginning. And most importantly, my secret of being a surrogate mother will be disclosed. It might ruin my friendship with Asim. No, it's a flop idea. I can't let him in on such a private part of my life. What to do... I have nobody around me to share my problem with. Argh! " Shehnaaz mumbled to herself.

Shehnaaz could not find anyone with whom she could share her plight. She had lost her ability to think rationally and reach a conclusion. For the entire next week, Shehnaaz made sure she did not come face to face with Sidharth. Every morning, she would leave her room only after Sidharth had left for work. She used to wake up early and get ready on time, but didn't come out of her room until Sidharth left for work. Her escape in the evening was that she ate her dinner early and got into bed before Sidharth came back from work. She made every effort possible to avoid Sidharth throughout the day.

On one of these days, Sidharth went to her room a number of times and thought of clearing out things with Shehnaaz, but she pretended to be asleep. She didn't want to be confronted with the incident that happened at night when they were coming back from the wedding. This cold behaviour by Shehnaaz compelled Sidharth to just glance at her for a while and return back to his room.

It was obviously uncomfortable for Shehnaaz to behave that way, but she wanted to avoid that particular moment when she would have to respond to his love confession.

"What am I supposed to say when Sidharth asks for my answer? Neither can I deny his proposal, nor can I accept it. He might get his heart broken into a thousand pieces all over again,"she thought.

I wonder what Sidharth might be thinking about me. Whatever I have been doing for the past week is not right, I guess. He just confessed his feelings to me, which is not inappropriate in any sense. It was me who didn't know how to react to it. I am afraid he might get mad at me,"she struggled.

All these thoughts made Shehnaaz restless while struggling to sleep, and she woke up in the middle of the night. She extended her hand to reach the side table and realised that the jug was empty. She wanted to have some water, so she got out of bed and decided to walk to the kitchen to get herself a glass of water. Her forehead had a few tiny droplets of sweat. She was afraid to think about why she had become anxious. She felt weak in her knees and struggled to reach the refrigerator in the kitchen. She had just opened the door and was taking out a bottle of water when she heard her name. "S-H-E-H-N-A-A-Z"...