Chapter 5

After they returned to Earth, James went with Hal to his home in Coast City so that he could meet Hal's wife, Carol Ferris.

"So, this is the man that's been taking up my husband's time?" Carol asked with a smile after Hal introduced her to James.

"Sorry about that, but it sounds like it took less time than it did for your husband to learn how to be a Green Lantern." James said and Hal chuckled.

"I think you and I are going to get along very well if you can insult Hal like that." Carol said.

"I'm glad you feel that way, since you'll be seeing a lot more of him than you will of me for a while." Hal said regrettably.

"You mean, compared to the already huge amount of time we spend together when you spend most of your time on another planet?" Carol asked, since ever since Hal had been selected as a Green Lantern, he'd spent more time in space and less time with his wife. Honestly, Hal was amazed that Carol had stayed with him this long.

"This assignment is too important, so I promise that I'm going to take a break from the Corp, since now I can, since James can take over some of my workload, but my current assignment is too important to hand off to him." Hal said.

"What is the assignment?" Carol asked as Hal explained everything to her.

"Okay then, sounds like you're gonna need help, so I'm going with you." Carol said, much to James's surprise.

"How can you go with him if you can't breathe in space?" James asked as Hal sighed.

"Because her wedding ring isn't just a wedding ring." Hal said as Carol tapped the gem on her wedding ring, causing it to glow a pinkish purple glow before it shifted into a purple version of a green lantern ring, with a star insignia on it instead of a lantern one.

"What is that?" James asked.

"It's the star sapphire ring. It was a wedding present from the Guardians, it's powered by the violet energy of love, instead of the green energy of will. It basically gives Carol all the powers of a green lantern, just by harnessing a different color of the light spectrum, but she's never shown any interest in using it until now." Hal said, looking at his wife.

"That's because it's become clear that using this thing is the only way I can be assured that my husband will spend time with me. Besides, last time I checked, your ring was useless against yellow energy, while mine doesn't have the same weakness. You're gonna need my help." Carol said and Hal nodded, knowing his wife wouldn't be talked out of this and honestly, he'd been waiting for her to finally use that ring for awhile.

"Great, so let's get going, since I'm going to hold you to that vacation once we get this wrapped up." Carol said.

"Hal, remember, we're connected through our rings. When you find Sinestro, let me know, since you're going to need all the help you can get to take him down, not to mention I owe him some payback." James said and Hal nodded.

"I'll keep that in mind. But anyways, you better get back to Metropolis, since I get the feeling that Superman will not be very happy with you." Hal said and James sighed, since he knew that Hal was right, since the whole time he'd been on Oa for Green Lantern training, Metropolis had been unprotected, since it wasn't like James had time to give Clark a heads up before he left.

"Yeah, I better go face the music. I'm just curious, do you think a Green Lantern has a chance of fighting off Superman, since he's gonna be pissed at me." James said.

"I'm sure that once you explain why, he'll calm down, since joining the Green Lantern Corp is a huge honor." Hal said.

"I hope you're right. But now I need to get back to Metropolis." James said as he summoned his suit from his ring and flew home.