Chapter 34

James and Jenny were currently sparring in the Nest, both of them not wearing their rings, since James was showing Jenny how to fight without it, since they would likely be in situations where they wouldn't have their rings, not to mention the fact that their current enemy, Sinestro, was using the color yellow. The one thing their rings were powerless against.

James had to admit though, he was impressed by the fact that Jenny already had some decent fighting skills, since as the heiress to a fortune 500 company with a devious, scheming aunt, Ted Kord had put Jenny in self defense classes starting when she was 6 and she'd turned it into a passion for boxing and while she'd been keeping her skills sharp over the years, she still wasn't at the level she'd need to be to stand a chance against Sinestro when he showed up. Hell, James wasn't even sure that he was ready to fight Sinestro in hand to hand, since the only reason he'd survived last time was because of luck.

"You really think that either of us are going to be ready to fight Sinestro when he comes back to Earth?" Jenny asked, panting slightly, since James was not taking it easy on her as they sparred, not that she wanted him too, but still, this was intense.

"I don't know, but we have to try. Especially since I don't like how calm things have been on that front. I don't know what he's doing, but he's been too inactive since he saved your aunt from being captured by us." James said as they took a break.

"Yeah, I don't like it either. Especially since whatever he recruited my aunt for, it's not good." Jenny agreed, right as they noticed a bright pink light headed towards them and fast.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" James asked.

"Yep and are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Jenny asked as they both raised their hands to summon their rings to them, causing them to suit up as a very banged up Carol Ferris flew into the Nest.

"Carol, what happened?" James asked as he and Jenny rushed up to her.

"Hal, he's turned on us." was all she said before she collapsed and James saw something fall out of her hand.

"Please tell me that's not what I think it is." Jenny said as James picked the item up.

"It's Hal's ring. Get Carol to medical and call the others. We need to find out what the hell is going on now." James said, hoping he'd misheard Carol.

When Carol came too, she found that her star sapphire ring had been removed and her uniform had been replaced by a hospital gown while Cheryl, who'd become Team Lantern's medic due to the fact that she'd originally been a medic in the Thanagarian military before being reassigned to warrior class, observed her.

"About time you came too. We've been worried sick." Cheryl said.

"So I made it to the Nest after all." Carol said, relieved, since she thought that she might've been hallucinating before she'd passed out.

"Yeah. Hang on, let me get the rest of the team so you only have to explain everything once." Cheryl said, as she went to get the others.

"What happened?" James asked Carol when Cheryl returned with himself, Jenny, Winn, Carter, Ted and Barbara.

"Sinestro ambushed us in Coast City and before we could even suit up, he hit Hal with some kind of yellow weapon that corrupted him. But it didn't affect me for some reason. Before whatever it is Sinestro hit Hal with took full effect, he released his ring and gave it to me. I tried to help him, but then he attacked me with powers similar to what I remember that Parallax creature had. I barely had time to put on my star sapphire ring before he attacked." Carol said.

"And while you survived the attack, your ring wasn't so lucky." Jenny said gently as she held out her hand to reveal the shattered pink fragments of the star sapphire ring.

"This ring was a gift to me from Hal. A symbol of our love for each other. In fact, while Hal's ring was powered by will, mine was powered by love. Specifically my love for him. But he destroyed it." Carol said.

"I can take it to the Guardians, see if they can repair it?" James offered, since he should probably head there anyways to make sure the Guardians were informed of this, though he was surprised that Hal's ring hadn't already returned to the Guardians.

"No, even if you did, I don't think my love for Hal is enough to power it anymore and even if it was, it wouldn't be the same." Carol said.

"Still, Jenny and I need to get to Oa now." James said.

"Why?" Jenny asked.

"Because we need to warn the Guardians to prepare for an attack on Oa, since right now, Hal can access and disable the Oan security field and I'm guessing that most of the Lanterns are scattered in their various sectors. We need to be prepared for an attack and the sooner we do that, the better." James said.

"Okay, let's go." Jenny agreed.

"You should take Hal's ring with you. I'm surprised it came to me instead of returning to Oa." Carol said.

"So am I. But we need to go." James said and Jenny nodded as James opened a portal to Oa and they both walked through.