Chapter 33

"What did you want to talk to me about?" James asked when he entered Barbara's office at the Metropolis PD precinct.

"What do you know about Oracle and I'm not talking about my codename since the Joker shot me." Barbara said.

"Not much. Just that Superman and Batman had a major falling out over its creation and about its existence. It's some kind of surveillance system right?" James asked, since Clark had never told him the full details about Oracle.

"It's one of a kind computer system that Bruce, Lucius and I created to help counter criminals like Scarecrow and the Riddler. It's a next generation computer system that's basically one level below sci fi AIs. It was one of the Bat Team and the GCPD's most useful tools in countering some of Gotham's worst threats until the NSA discovered what it was and hit us with an injunction. In the wrong hands, I don't even want to think about what Oracle could do to people. Part of why before I left Gotham, I told Bruce I destroyed it to make sure he'd never be tempted to use it again." Barbara said.

"But you didn't, did you?" James asked.

"No, I didn't. Have you heard about what's been going on in Gotham?" Barbara asked.

"I know Batman retired and someone else took his place." James said.

"Well, when the Joker found out about it, he orchestrated a mass breakout from Arkham and is basically challenging this new Batwoman to a battle royale." Barbara said, since even though she knew Batwoman's identity, as far as she knew, James didn't.

"So you want to know if I think you should give Batwoman the Oracle tech?" James asked.

"And I want to know if you think we should build one here in Metropolis." Barbara admitted.

"First, I'm going to need some more information about it." James said, since he still didn't have a clear idea on what exactly the Oracle system was.

"Okay. It's essentially a surveillance system that Bruce and I created that evolved into this almost sentient AI system." Barbara began.

"And I'm gonna stop you right there. Now I understand why Clark was so pissed at Bruce allowing that kind of technology to be made. Have neither of you watched a sci fi movie in the past few decades? At least half of them start out with technology exactly like that." James said, horrified that anyone would think it was a good idea to create that kind of tech.

"I admit, there are some ethical questions about it, but I can't deny that Oracle was effective." Barbara said.

"And what happens when it falls into the wrong hands, because that's not an if, it's a when. You should've destroyed it. It's too dangerous to be allowed to exist. I don't care how much good it's done for you or the Bat Team, it's only a matter of time until it does become sentient if it's not already. What happens if it decides to turn one of countless sci-fi movies into reality?" James asked her.

"I know. But I can't deny that Oracle was effective." Barbara said.

"Until it becomes too smart to want to obey humans. I'm sorry Barbara, but Oracle was one thing in Gotham, since none of the maniacs there know about it or how to use it, you seem to be forgetting that Metropolis is home to Lex Luthor. The one person who would love to get his hands on technology like that, since he could easily figure out how to work it." James said, since while Lex was insane, he couldn't deny that the man was a genius.

"Fair point. And honestly, I guess Oracle is kind of outdated now, since smartphones weren't a thing when we created it." Barbara said and James nodded.

"Maybe you can use a version of Oracle's technology to upgrade our systems at the Nest, but I think it's too risky to have an actual unit built here and I think the unit in Gotham should be destroyed as an added precaution. As long as the technology is intact, it can fall into the wrong hands." James said.

"I'll call Batwoman's tech guy and tell him how to properly destroy Oracle, since you're right, that kind of technology is too risky to allow to fall into the wrong hands. Though it is kind of a shame to see all that hard work that was put into building it go to waste, but then again, Oracle was only built as a last case scenario when we had no other choice during Bane's rampage and then Scarecrow's attack." Barbara said.

"I agree it's a shame, but the world is not ready for that kind of technology to exist yet." James agreed and Barbara nodded, right as one of her officers came in.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we've got reports of an armed robbery at Metropolis Federal Bank." the cop said and Barbara nodded.

"Get a squad car there now." Barbara said.

"Already en route." the cop said as he walked.

"I guess I know where I'm going." James said and Barbara chuckled.

"Good luck. Though I guess you're not the one who needs it." Barbara said and James nodded as he left her office too.