Chapter 16

Cheryl Hall was currently walking home from work that night, speaking to her husband on the phone.

"Yes Carter, I'm stopping to pick up the Chinese food right now. But are you sure you can get away from work right now, since it sounds like you're in the middle of a big case." Cheryl said.

"Trust me, I'm sure. Especially since Barb is ditching work for dinner with Winn. I get the feeling that she didn't have a whole lot of leisure time in Gotham." Carter said.

"Any leads on the killer?" Cheryl asked, since the Daily Planet was all over this too.

"Not yet. I'm gonna have Winn see if he can recover the missing surveillance footage." Carter said.

"Got it. I'll see you soon." Cheryl said as she hung up and approached the Chinese restaurant, only to stop when she heard the person she'd sensed following her for the past block finally come out of hiding.

"You want to tell me why you've been following me?" Cheryl asked without turning around.

"I'm surprised it took you this long to sense me Chayara." the man said in an Arabic accent, surprising Cheryl that he knew her true name.

"I think you have me confused with someone else." Cheryl said as she turned to see a man with ridiculous mutton chops and facial hair and wearing a navy blue trench coat.

"I know that you're the newest reincarnation of Priestess Chayara from the Middle Kingdom. I don't know why your appearance is different in this reality, but honestly, I don't care. I will kill you just like I have all the other times." the man said, confusing Cheryl.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I've never seen you before in my life." Cheryl said.

"Perhaps this will jog your memory." the man said as he pulled out an old dagger and tried to blast her with some kind of weird blue energy from it.

"Is that an Nth metal dagger?" Cheryl asked, grateful that Winn had managed to miniaturize her armor to be easily accessible as she summoned it from her new watch, her wings spread.

"Interesting. Your powers have emerged but you don't remember me." the man said.

"Should I?" Hawkgirl asked as she produced her own Nth metal weapon, a mace identical to her husband's.

"It's me, Hath-Set or as you may know me, Vandal Savage." Savage said.

"I have no idea who you are or why I should care. But I won't let you hurt anyone else, since I'm assuming the massacre at the port was your doing." Hawkgirl said.

"Very good. Now, I see you have a new look, let's see if it might give you a chance at surviving me this time." Savage said as he charged at her, only to have Hawkgirl fly up and over him, knocking him in the back with her mace and she was surprised by the energy that was released when she did.

"How is this possible?" Savage asked, since that had actually hurt him.

"I don't know who you are or why you think you know me, but you are not going to kill me." Hawkgirl said as she charged at Savage, who managed to catch her mace against his dagger as the two fought.

"I'll admit, you're a better fighter than you were before, but then again, you never were much of a fighter, you preferred to let Khufu do that, though he failed every time. I thought that after you two were killed by the Injustice Society that the cycle was broken and that you'd never be reborn. Imagine my joy to find out that I was wrong." Savage said, confusing Hawkgirl even more as she continued to fight and quickly got the upper hand on Savage, seizing the dagger from him and forced him to the ground.

"I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not her. And now you're coming with me." Hawkgirl said.

"I don't think so. We'll meet again. Once I've found a way to regain my advantage." Savage said as he dropped a smoke bomb and when the smoke cleared, he was gone, leaving Hawkgirl with more questions and a need to get back to the base in the hopes of finding answers.

"What the hell was that about?" Hawkgirl asked before flying off.