Chapter 29

While James and Winn had wanted to stay in National City, they knew that they couldn't stay away from Metropolis anymore. Especially James. Being the title hero of that city was not as easy or glamorous as Clark made it look.

So they'd said their goodbyes with promises to be there whenever they needed them before returning home to Metropolis.

"How was National City?" Ted asked.

"Well, my sister got engaged, but the reason we went is because her girlfriend, who's actually a good friend of ours, got shot in the back." James said.

"I'm not sure whether to say congratulations or I'm sorry." Jenny said and James nodded.

"How badly is she hurt?" Barbara asked, wondering if this was anything like her case.

"She's in the same condition you are, but fortunately, Alex's sister is dating Lena Luthor, who's already working on a cure for her. If it works, it may also help you." Winn said and Barbara smiled.

"I hear that Smoak Tech in Star City has a similar project in development and who knows, maybe we can repurpose some of Victoria's OMAC designs to help you as well." Ted said.

"That would require perfecting the design and without the Scarab's code, that can't happen. At least not yet and as long as it requires that, it has the potential to be weaponized." Winn said.

"So instead of canceling it, you're looking into ways to repurpose her tech?" James asked, honestly intrigued.

"Yeah, instead of weapons, I'm thinking of using the technology for several other fields, including exploration of space, the ocean and now maybe prosthetics. After all, a lot of money and research went into that program, no point in letting it go to waste just because Victoria's insane." Ted said and the others nodded.

"Anyways, speaking of Victoria, what's going on with her?" James asked.

"She's off the grid and currently wanted for numerous criminal charges, including evading arrest." Barbara said.

"Good. Let's hope that she keeps her head low and won't cause anymore trouble." James said, right as the Nest's alarms went off.

"What's going on?" Cheryl asked.

"It looks like our scanners have detected someone heading straight towards the Kord Industries building." Barbara said, taking her station as Oracle at the computers.

"Any idea on what it is?" James asked as he and Jenny summoned their Green Lantern uniforms, Winn summoned his Blue Beetle armor and both of the Hawks shifted to their Thanagarian form.

"Well, it's not Sinestro, since it doesn't match the energy signature of his yellow fear energy, plus, I think if it were him, he'd head straight here, since this is where the Green Lanterns are." Barbara said.

"Speaking of which, I know Hal was training you while I was in National City, but do you really think that you're ready for this, since I have a feeling that this isn't quite the kind of scenario he's put you through." James said.

"If it was just me, I'd say no, but come on, I'll have you, Winn and the Hawks out there to have my back. Especially since Metropolis is happy to have a team of superheroes instead of just one, even if that one was Superman." Jenny said and James nodded.

"Yeah, Superman was always too much of a solo act, probably because the only other heroes around when he became active were Batman and Wonder Woman and neither of them could exactly serve as a team for him." James said.

"Are you ever going to tell me who they are?" Jenny asked.

"Don't take it personally, the only people who know those identities here are myself, Winn and Barbara, since Barbara used to work with Batman and I used to work with Superman and Winn was an old friend of his." James said, telling a version of the truth.

"It's true. He won't tell us their names either." Ted said to his daughter with the Hawks nodding in agreement.

"Anyways, back on topic, can you get us a live image of whatever's attacking Kord Industries so we have some idea of what we're going up against?" James asked and Barbara nodded as she and Ted accessed the Metropolis security camera system to pull up a live feed of the Kord Industries building to find it under attack by an unknown individual wearing some kind of bright red battle armor that kind of resembled the blue beetle armor.

"What is that thing?" Barbara asked.

"No, she couldn't have." Ted said, recognizing it.

"What is it?" James asked.

"That's the OMAC. Victoria must've somehow built the prototype, though how she did that while on the run is beyond me. Fortunately, it's not the fully operational design she created, since without the Scarab's code, she couldn't perfect it." Ted said.

"Well, we better put this project to bed quickly before whoever she put in that suit does any real damage. Let's go." James said as they all flew out of the building.