Chapter 26

"About time you got back." Winn said to James and Jenny when they returned from Oa.

"Sorry, it's not exactly a short flight here from the center of the universe." James said as he and Jenny landed.

"Sorry, but you missed about 16 different calls from your sister and I just got one from Kara in National City. Also, you missed an epic grudge match fight between Superman and Lex Luthor." Winn said.

"I'll talk to Superman about that later, but what's going on with Kara?" James asked.

"Look, we both need to get our asses to National City now, since I promised Kara that we'd both be there as soon as you got back, let's go. You can call Kelly on the flight over to National City." Winn as he generated his Blue Beetle armor and flew out of the base.

"What is going on?" Jenny asked.

"I'll fill you in when I get back. In the meantime, the Hawks are in charge while we're gone, since you still have a lot to learn about that ring before you can start using it. Tell them that if they need help, to reach out to Hal Jordan in Coast City if they need any help." James said and Jenny nodded, knowing James was right and James was very glad that before they'd left Oa, he'd shown Jenny the central battery, which he'd also used to recharge his ring, since its power had been running low.

"Go meet up with your father and also make sure you keep that ring charged. Trust me, you do not want to run out of power at the wrong moment." James said as he resummoned his suit before following Winn in flying out the window while Jenny did the same thing to fly to her father's office.

To say Ted Kord was surprised when his daughter flew into his condo wearing a Green Lantern uniform was an understatement.

"So this is where you went after the crash. I was fearing the worst." Ted said as he hugged his daughter.

"Yeah, well, I've still got a lot to learn before I can use this thing." Jenny said as she removed her ring and her uniform was replaced by her street clothes.

"So why are you not learning?" Ted asked.

"Because James is currently in National City for a personal matter and he doesn't want me using my ring without his supervision." Jenny said.

"Probably smart. After all, that ring is just as powerful and probably as dangerous as the Scarab is. You could end up accidentally hurting a lot of people, including yourself." Ted said.

"I know, but it's still annoying to get something like this, only to have training wheels put on." Jenny said.

"I understand. But right now, I'm more concerned with the circumstances that the ring found you in in the first place, since I think we both agree that your plane going down was no accident." Ted said and Jenny nodded.

"And I think we both know someone with the means and motive to do it, since if I get taken out, then you'd likely fall into despair, which Aunt Victoria and I use the term aunt loosely, would use that to have you removed from the company and essentially force a hostile takeover." Jenny said.

"My thinking exactly. I already have Winn Schott looking into ways to expose her, though I have found some records of her off the books operations, though sadly, we don't have any way to prove that she was responsible for the plane going down. Yet. And sadly, all of the evidence I've found of her conspiring behind my back is circumstantial at best." Ted said, right as the woman they were talking about entered his office, a look of clearly fake grief on her face.

"Ted, I just heard about Jenny. I'm so sorry." Victoria said, only to freeze where she stood at seeing Jenny alive and well in her father's office and her niece actually gave her a smug little wave.

"Sorry about what Victoria? Jenny is right here and as you can see, she's just fine." Ted said a bit smugly and Jenny couldn't help but feel a bit too much satisfaction at the look on her aunt's face at that.

"I just heard her plane went down and since no rescue crews had found her yet, I assumed that Jenny went down with it." Victoria said.

"Actually, I was saved by Metropolis's new resident superhero, the Green Lantern." Jenny said, telling her a version of the truth.

"Oh really. How fortunate." Victoria said, though both her brother and her niece could see that she was lying through her teeth.

"Also Victoria, we haven't announced anything about the crash yet, in fact, it's my understanding that rescue crews were still arriving. I'd actually just informed them that the Green Lantern saved my daughter and brought her here, so how did you know about it?" Ted asked, wondering if maybe she'd slipped up.

Victoria realized that her brother had caught her in a lie and she needed to come up with a new one fast.

"I was tracking Jenny's plane to make sure she got in safely. After all, with the death of your wife, I know you wouldn't want to lose her too." Victoria said quickly and both Ted and Jenny were smart enough to fake that they bought that.

"Thank you for your concern Auntie Victoria. I'm fine and ready to help my father run this company." Jenny said, twisting the knife in a little deeper as Victoria left the office grumbling.

"So, she all but admitted that she had something to do with my plane going down right?" Jenny asked, though her father was already on the phone.

"Yep and I'm calling someone to see if what we heard was enough to take action." Ted said.

"Who?" Jenny asked.

"The commissioner of Metropolis PD. Who's also a member of James' team." Ted said he called Barbara's direct line.

"We have the commissioner on a superhero team?" Jenny asked, impressed.

"She's also Blue Beetle's girlfriend." Ted said.

"Damn. Good for him." Jenny said.