Chapter 9

Quick little random question. Which movie would you rather watch? Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern or Ezra Miller's the Flash. Personally, I'd pick Green Lantern.

James smiled as he watched the news reports about his recent acts of heroism.

"Welcome back viewers. As you all know, Superman hasn't been seen here in Metropolis for several weeks, but it doesn't seem like we have anything to worry about, since it appears that Metropolis has a new guardian angel protecting it, this one calling himself the Green Lantern. We don't know who he is or where he comes from, but it's clear that he and Superman are friends and that Superman ensured that we'd be left in good hands in his absence. The questions people are asking now though are where did Superman go and why did he leave?" the newscaster said and James chuckled as he looked down at the ring on his finger, thinking about how much it had changed his life.

He was also chuckling because now he knew how Kara and Clark felt when they were being ordered to get an interview with their alter egos, since ever since James had made his debut as the Green Lantern, Perry White had wanted all of the Daily Planet's resources focused on finding the find the Green Lantern and get an exclusive with him. However, James wasn't sure if it was wise for him to give an interview, since he was pretty sure appearing in the press like that deliberately was a violation of Green Lantern protocol and it wasn't like Hal was on Earth for him to ask, since he kept in touch with his former mentor in case Hal needed his help in his hunt for Sinestro.

Anyways, the one problem James was still having was that the cops in Metropolis didn't seem as welcoming to him as they had been to Superman and James was pretty sure that was because while his suit and mask protected his identity, his mask allowed enough of his face to be exposed for people to see that he was black. Something that made him roll his eyes, but that was to be expected, since he knew the reason people loved Superman and Supergirl wasn't just their actions or powers, it was the fact that they were both white. However, James also knew that the black community in Metropolis was thrilled that the city's new hero was black, since it meant that they had someone like them protecting them.

However, James was pulled from his thoughts when he heard the words breaking news on TV as he looked back at it.

"Breaking news. There are reports of some kind of attack happening in Downtown Metropolis. Some weird red guy dressed in yellow is hovering in Krypton plaza, firing yellow energy blasts." the reporter said.

"No." James said as he slid his ring on and summoned his suit before flying out of his apartment and towards the plaza before lifting his ring to his face to activate its comm function.

"This is Green Lantern James Olsen reporting into Oa High Command, do you copy?" Green Lantern asked as he flew.

"What is it James Olsen, this must be important for you to contact us." James heard the voice of Ganthlet say.

"Yeah, you could say that. I've spotted Sinestro. He's here on Earth and I'm heading to engage him. Requesting immediate reinforcements." James said.

"How certain are you that it's him?" Ganthlet asked.

"See for yourself." Green Lantern said as he sent them the image of Sinestro in the plaza.

"We will send you reinforcements as quickly as we can, but Hal Jordan is currently several lightyears away from you and we are uncertain if any other Green Lanterns will be able to make it in time. It would appear that your first true test as a Green Lantern has come. You must subdue Sinestro until reinforcements can arrive to take him into custody." Ganthlet said.

"Understood." James said as he ended the communication and made sure his mask was in place as he arrived at the plaza to find Sinestro waiting for him.

"I was wondering when you'd show up Green Lantern. Though I must say, you're not very impressive. If it was your mentor, I might be worried, but I left a false trail to lead him to the other side of the galaxy." Sinestro said.

"You were here on Earth this whole time." Green Lantern realized.

"Not the whole time. But just long enough to ensure that both your mentor and the Kryptonian wouldn't be able to interfere. After all, Superman made it clear that you are this city's new protector, so he won't interfere. And now I can begin my mission." Sinestro said with a mad look in his eyes.

"What mission?" Green Lantern asked.

"We don't have to be enemies. I saw your potential while you were training. My forces would benefit from your skills. Why wear that pathetic green ring and symbol when you can become even more powerful by embracing my gift of yellow energy. The energy ring. Join me and my Sinestro Corp." Sinestro said.

"And if I refuse?" Green Lantern asked.

"Then I'll kill you and take your ring and find a way to turn it into another weapon. Though I may not just stop with you. After all, I'm sure your family would be very interested in how your spending your time. Perhaps I could pay them visits instead to earn your allegiance." Sinestro said.

"Don't even think about it." Green Lantern said right before he blasted Sinestro back.

"I see you've made your choice then." Sinestro said.

"I will never join you Sinestro and I will never let you harm my family." Green Lantern said as he landed.

"So be it. But remember, I gave you a chance to join me. What happens next is on your head." Sinestro said as he unleashed a fury of yellow energy blasts as the two lanterns clashed.