4. Scheme

Draco's POV:

The next day came quickly as expected. I didn't get much sleep. I stayed late just laying on my bed. The war really fucked me up in the head. Sometimes I dream things. Violent things that keeps me awake. I spend most times at night thinking if I did things differently, things might be different now.

Would I be happier? Or not here at all?

Sometimes I'd mix up potions for people. I'd donate them anonymously. To ease the guilt and burden on my shoulders. It helps occasionally, knowing I've helped some people.

I groom myself, taking a shower. Lately, I've forced myself to stop putting on hair gel. It reminded me too much of my father and his obsession with perfection. Well, before he became mad and looked like a mad man. I put on my uniform and cloak. The cloak was getting worn out.

I should change it this break.

It was pretty early in the morning. Some people in the Slytherin dorms are asleep, but most were already out. I assumed already taking their breakfast. I went and walked to the Great Hall purposely walking a little slow. I know I agreed to this deal with a benefit, but I don't have to like it.

But then I bumped into the specific person I didn't want to see yet. He turns around to face me.

"Malfoy."

A small smile appeared. Looks like he was waiting for me.

"Potter."

I greet him back as my hands forms in a fist, my nails digging in my palms.

"There's some kids there, infront of the Great Hall's door, isn't there?"

He asks. I leaned sideways to take a look and he was right. They were paying attention to us. I nod.

"Are they looking at us?"

No doubt. Seeing Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter face to face without hexing each other? They'd think they were probably dreaming.

"Yes."

"Good."

He says while getting closer. I intend to walk backwards, but I let him get close. Now the group of students were huddling on the side to see what's Potter doing to me. Which is nothing really, but he's close.

He carefully reaches my my sleeves, too close to my bare skin, my hand. He tugs on the sleeve, not doing anything else while mouthing something I can't decipher. It was a sweet gesture to other people's eyes. I hear some whispers.

Now he slowly reached my hand, looking at me with confirmation. I give a look of approval. He holds it. I let out a breath. His hand was rough on mine, but the warmth was wonderful. It's been a while since I've made physical contact with another person. He squeezed it just for a moment to snap me out of my thoughts.

"Have ever held someone by hand, Malfoy?"

He whispers. Nobody heard but us. I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"Who? Your mother?"

He says with an innocent face. To the audience he might seem to be saying lovely words or anything of sort. But no. I try to keep myself from snarling.

"Fuck off, Potty."

I tried not to sneer at his face. Instead, I look at him on the lips, just for good measure. I needed to do something for this to not be one sided. I put my other hand ontop of his. He seems pleasantly pleased. Good.

"Shy?"

"No..."

He smiles at me. But really, I know he's enjoying every moment making me feel embarrassed.

"We should go. If we entertain this any further, we'll miss breakfast."

He quirks his eyebrow. And so did I in curiosity. Our hands were still tangled. He pulls up my hands, but nuzzled them on his cheek. He kept his eyes on mine all the time he did what he did. He smirks, his lips inches away from my hand.

I tried to muster up strength not to show disgust on my face.

But his skin was unbelievably soft. He has soft but sharp features. He pulls one of my hand away gently, putting it down. He's holding one hand with his. His hands are bigger then mine, so my hand almost completely disappears in his grasp. His pulls it close to his lips, looking at me like a predetor.

And we hear gasps. He let go of my hand to look at the audience, pretending to be shocked. He'd kiss my hand if they didn't gasp. He looks back at me, looking afraid. But closely, I can see amusement evidently on his face. I mirror his expression, and I hide my hands in my pocket.

He looks regretful before going into the Great Hall. I feel a little proud for participating in his scheme. But if this the very first step of our way, how would I survive the others if this kept going? I went into the Great Hall without looking at the students that were observing us.

I sit on the vacant table next to Pansy and Blaise. They greet me with smiles. I nod simply. And unsurprisingly, it gives me great view of Potter. I don't understand how I can see him clearly. Everytime I sit somewhere, I can always manage to find his eyes on mine.

That too, with a clear view.

Every single year. I can feel eyes burning on me. But I don't pull up my eyes to meet his. But I suppose that's good. It will contribute to the plan. He seems to have found me. He didn't pull his gaze away from me. He kept looking at me with such a serious face, it's intimating.

"Why're you and Potter looking at each other? Did anything happen?"

Astoria asks. I pull my eyes away from his and turn to her. I'm debating on whether or not to tell her the plan, tell her I fancy him or tell her nothing at all.

"Um... me and him, we... fancy each other?"

I say that almost like a question rather than a statement. Her eyes widen, her spoon drops.

"W-what?"

I shrug, looking at her.

"Draco, I swear to Merlin, if you're fucking playing with me right now, I will hex you right here, at this moment."

I put my hands up.

"I'm not! Truly, we fancy each other."

She narrowed her eyes, not believing me. I mean, who would? Try telling someone Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter was seen smitten with each other. They will laugh at your face.

"Seriously Draco, stop."

"Astoria, I'm telling the truth."