WEAKENING: Chapter 5

Petra

Sweat beads on my forehead and my noodle limbs feel as if they're about to detach. My hand reaches up to pull back my loosened bandana before I scoop up all the guests' empty paper plates and cups to throw in the black bin bag Jesse holds out. Just as I see Lukas dispose of the banners, I throw my arms out in front of him defensively. "No, no, stop! I wanna keep 'em."

"Any reason?" Lukas snickers.

"Oh, come on. It's not every day that you're presented with printed sword buntings and cool banners with epic headshots of you on them."

My response turns him into a hyena with a thunderous cackle. He passes on the blue-themed decorations and I retreat to my room to paste them on a blank wall. The rest drape from the ceilings like chandeliers.

When I return, my entire house is deemed ludicrously spotless, like never before. Jesse and Lukas rest on my leather couch, leaving a spot in the middle for me so I plop down between them, admiring their efficient work. "I've had the best day. Thank you so much, guys!"

"Wait, Lukas and I made you a little something."

"Aww, you guys didn't have to," I say, another round of happiness flooding my heart.

Be it a sword, axe, or any type of weapon, I'll forever be grateful, but Jesse must've surely lost her mind if she and Lukas crafted me another diamond sword enchanted with sharpness and fire aspect. Everyone who's ever known me by now should know not to get me a tool as a birthday present, as it'd end up being seldom used. I've already received more than I could ever give back.

Instead, their gift is smaller, capable of fitting inside Jesse's fist.

"It took us a while to figure out how to actually craft it, but uh... I actually think you'll like this one," Lukas says, conveying a proud look on his face.

As Jesse unwraps her fingers, I peek at the gold chain still partially covered. "A necklace. Pfft, you guys are pathetic."

Both ignore my comment as the shorter girl unveils the rest of the present, an elegant pendant of a golden sword attached to the chain. With that, I can tell my face gleams in excitement, smile wide and joyful eyes vamped up. "You guys! No way!"

"That's 24-carat gold," boasts Jesse, "who's the pathetic one now?"

She gestures for me to take it, so I obey to her silent action. At first, I struggle to put it on, but Lukas helps me out, linking the ends together to form the shiny, ornate loop around my neck.

"Thanks. I'm never taking this off," I say, "seriously, not even when I shower."

My remark unleashes a laugh out of them, the penultimate rays of sunlight casting on our faces making it look as if we were in a daydream.

"Now all that's left is warrior's night, and my day will be made. Will you be joining us, Lukas?"

Jesse abruptly slaps her thigh. "See! I told you she wanted you to come."

Lukas gives a nervous chuckle in a promising sort of way. "I'm gonna have to sit this one out, Petra. You guys have fun, though."

I can't be too disappointed. The author has done everything in his power to brighten and make memorable my birthday though it may still be worth last-minute convincing.

"Why? Scared of a few monsters?"

"No. I spend the night writing."

"A book?" Jesse asks.

"Journal. For now."

"I'd call you a coward, but I remember how much I wanted to surrender reading all those books in the Order Hall," I huff, straightening my shirt, "but that's okay, I understand. Do what you must."