HABITATION: Chapter 39

Lukas

"Xara's town isn't big - that portal should be easy to find," Petra says.

"Gee, this is her home?"

Most of these buildings look as if they'd been bulldozed or nibbled out by enormous mice. There is a good mix of gravel, clay and stone paths all screaming 'under renovation' judging by their present conditions. The only indication of life are the lanterns, glowing with inferiority, scattered across the canvas of apartments.

"I mean, it's better than when I first came here." Her statement suggests the Oasis was close to irredeemable during Romeo's time. "There was nothing of Xara's town before. Maybe it's just taking her a little longer to rebuild on her own."

She finishes when we get to the town's center, where there's a giant box of concrete and iron with an opening. Inside, a portal awaits, holding the same exquisite shape as the one in the sea temple with gold, diamond and birch garnishing the build. Our next issue is made clear: if we were to walk through it, we'd only transport ourselves to the other side of the frame.

"Dang it, of course it had to be unlit!"

"Wait, so we're trapped down here?" I ask.

"We are until we find Xara."

An item frame stuck on the side steals my attention. "You have to activate it the same way as you did with the one in the sea temple right? Do you have anything from the Overworld we could use?"

"It can't just be a random block or tool. The item has to be a resemblant power source."

Well, that's a bust. I'll go ballistic if we find out that Xara isn't even here. We also note how little movement there is in this place as we back away from the contained and defunct portal.

Before we go off in a search for the ex-admin, Petra recommends we split up to cover more ground. She briefly describes what she looks like - a deep, plummy violet shade of hair, usually done in a messy half-bun. Xara would be slightly taller than Petra and have a swell of insanity tainting her eyes. "Sorry, I can't get more specific than that."

"No, I think it's perfect. I'll shout for you if I find someone," I say.

"And if we don't in the next hour, we meet back right here to figure out what to do next."

"Sure thing."

----

It doesn't take long for me to find someone after we separate, though this individual's appearance is quite literally the opposite of Petra's description.

This was an older man, definitely shorter than Petra. His white hair, topped with a black hat, is like snow and his eyes are the same ashy blue as Binta's. Upon catching me in the process of watching him repair a wall, he squints. "I've never seen you here before. Who are you?"

"Um. My name's Lukas. What's yours?"

"Kent. But let's quit dwelling on introductions. What brings you to the Oasis?"

"I promise, I come in peace. I'm just looking for Xara, the ex-admin."

The man seems compliant and willing to help, which is a first. "I know who Xara is: I'm one of her assistants. She must be in her house, but I could take you to her-"

Just then, the sound of quick footsteps and hollow breaths maximize in volume. "Lukas, I heard voices so I came as fast as I- Kent?"

"Jesse's friend?" He gapes as if she were a zombie.

Indeed, standing in the doorway was Jesse's friend who unexpectedly recognized the man I was talking to. What I also didn't expect was Kent to briskly switch up like he's suddenly too busy or unbothered. "I don't think I can trust you."