RAVAGEMENT: Chapter 55

Jesse

On some days, I like to play it safe; on others, I prefer taking huge risks. This day is one of them, neglecting Ivor and Harper's advice on recovering while I leg it to Petra's accommodation pod. No one should expect less from someone who'd just spent two months in bed still getting used to being on her own two feet again. Even when I'm in the middle of a sprint, I can breathe with ease, much better than how I did in my critical condition.

Upon reaching her door - the one significantly marked with an oxeye daisy in the flowerpot beside it - she opens it before I can knock, which startles me. It's either by some bizarre coincidence of timing or her robust memory of the distinct sound of my footsteps.

"Bold of you to come running all the way here when you now have even further distance to cover," she says, raising her chipped eyebrow and flashing a radiant smile.

"You know I'm the last person to care." My left cheek twitches to resemble a wink as I reply equally alluring as her comment. A frigid burn erupts at the back of my throat, a predictable consequence of attempting to hold back my gasps for air. I rest my hands on my thighs and she finds it somewhat hilarious, chuckling softly.

Petra invades my territory, advancing to lean on her doorframe. She extends her hand and I accept her offer of help. "Speaking of, I know you're also probably the last person to care about your special day coming up soon." I receive her classic, playful hit on the shoulder.

"I already told you, I don't want a celebration," I grumble, "What's the point if it's only a few days after Christmas?"

Her sigh sits somewhere in between the spectrum of disappointment and relief. "Fine. No celebration, although... no promises. But- I'd like to be your birthday date..." she says jokingly, sticking out her elbow to gesture linking our arms, and her endeavor to make me blush almost succeeds, "if I may."

I giggle, batting her arm away and sling mine over her shoulders to drag her out of her post. "Stop it, I'm not doing that. We don't want to keep the others waiting."

After she shuts her door, we fall into step and admire the underground world outside the hospital. I wonder what would happen to QZ once we move back to Beacontown. Would it collapse on itself? I'd like the idea of it turning into a fantastical lost city much better.

Halfway past the Beacontown streets when I regain my strength, I tempt her into a race to Central and run ahead.

"Hey, no fair!"

Gusts of air whip my long hair about, transforming it into an inky flame on a pillage. Wind noise attacks my hearing; my heart speeds and a stitch begins to split on my side.

The bridge of ropes and oak is where I feel her on my tail. I need to keep it up! She could overtake me! "Get ready to lose!" I hear a holler from behind.

"Nope. This win is mine!"

Much to her dismay, the end of the bridge and the make-shift finish line shoot past us in a jiffy with me leading the track. I am the victor.

"Oh yeah! And the crowd goes wild! Jesse's the champion!"

Petra interrupts before I can start cheering for myself to imitate fake spectators. "Wow, if we started at the same time, I would've beat you."

"Come on, Petra. There's no glory in excuses."

"Alright, alright." She folds her arms. "I'll let you have that one, then."

"Wahoo!" I chirp. I'm submerged in a sea of ecstasy as I drink in this moment, not on a deathbed. Moments pass, me having done my little victory cheer before grabbing Petra by the wrist to lead her to the substitute Order Hall.

----

Axel and Olivia stray behind the piston doors that reveal them to us.

"Finally you guys came," Olivia says with impatience. She wields a controller, the same one that controls the nether star-breaking drone. Axel's eyes are glued to the large TV screen, which displays the drone's camera view, seeming to already be outside.

"Oh, you already released it," I beam.

"Axel was too eager and you slowpokes were taking forever."

A nonchalant shrug catches up to me, securing the straps of my overalls on my collarbones. "Sorry 'bout that."

"That's okay. Get over here. You might wanna see the current status overground."

Me and Petra walk over, our eyes following Axel's line of sight.

The drone propels forward, tilting so we can see a magnificent shot of all the trees no longer wrecked by the Wither Fallout. Everything we see in the radius has come to life. Although there are still several roses and skeletons sprinkled out among the greenery, it's clear that there are fewer of them surrounding the area.

"It's clearing up," Petra mumbles.

"That means we can finally get out of this tight place."

"Give it five more months, Axel," Olivia says, which causes him to pout. "People could still get sick if we move out now."

My hand reaches to scratch the back of my head. "I don't care where we are right now. I'm just happy I'm with you guys."

"And you call me a sap." Petra bursts out laughing, averting her gaze from the screen.

"Actually yeah," Axel remarks. "The New Order's finally together again... well, most of us, anyway."

Pain doesn't go away with time, unfortunately: Lukas's passing still hurts like a stone-cold jab in my heart.

The room goes silent and we stare at each other, devoid of serenity. Me and Olivia give a huge sigh. Petra squeezes her eyes shut. Axel remains in reflection, looking at his shoes.

Seconds go by without another word being said until Olivia adds to the commemoration of our hero friend. "The hospitals have been cleared out. Everyone who's had Wither Sickness has been cured all because of you two."

It's true - WITHER is now the least of our worries, and many lives have been spared.

Again, Axel has input to add. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really miss him."

"Me too," says Petra glumly.

I'd wanted to express my desperate yearning for Lukas, but my job has already been done.

"You know what I think he'd really like?" I ask instead, to which all my friends lean in toward me, curiously frowning. I continue. "To uphold his legacy. Keep it going."

Olivia closes in on us, ambling towards the TV, and drops the question I've been dying to answer.

"How do we do that?"

****