WEAKENING: Chapter 8

Lukas

Having ten-minute breaks every two hours is a mental pain I can't describe, even for a committed writer like me. How does Jesse cope with this?

A few days ago, I was abandoned with her job temporarily in my hands since she and Petra's gone off to help build the massive underground QZ (or quarantine zone in full) located quite a distance from Beacontown so that it would lay equally between us, Redstonia, and Boomtown. If the sickness continues to thrive interminably over ground, that is where we'll be staying for the rest of our lives.

On my computer, I zoom in on a digital map to where QZ is being made and tilt my head downwards to look at the build plan. The uncontaminated fortress with special-purpose accommodation and an extremely tall watchtower was my idea. Both are overground, ensuring an entrance for anyone outside. The rest will be underground including the artificial farms, animal pens, and living towns, constructed around an unexposed, layered ravine. Entrances underground would include tunnels dug from Champion City, Redstonia, Boomtown, and Beacontown.

My computer automatically flashes to the home screen as I hear a soft ring coming from the speakers. I click the green button, a relaxed and compressed voice coming through.

"Hey, Lukas."

"Petra, what's up?"

"Nothing much, just an update and a catch-up. How's the town been?"

"Tiring," I say, huffing exaggeratingly, "though there have been no new Wither cases so far. What about you guys and QZ?"

Far-off shouts can be heard over the phone along with hassling construction noises. Before Petra answers, I take a moment to visualize her current setting - probably an echoing, cavernous space, messily hollowed out in the stone with gaggles of builders and miners busily slaving away on every floor. Petra sounds like she isn't too deep underground.

"We're doing good over here, thanks. Jesse and I will take frequent trips back and forth. Oh, and I got the estimated completion time of QZ's build."

I lean closer to the computer screen. "Which is?"

"Around a month and a half away from now, but we're working as fast as we can," she says. "Olivia figured out how to program an underground network so we can now reach each other via phone and radio... though that's quite an odd way to do it."

"That's good! And hey, for three towns plus a mega one like Beacontown, you're building a lot faster than I thought. Just remember to take a break when you need one, okay?"

"Of course. How's Radar doing?"

"He's- well, uh- he's not getting any better. The purple bruising and webbing have reached the end of his torso, very quickly moving onto his legs and other arm."

Her breaths become empty and desperate as I catch her whimper.

"Everything alright?" I ask.

"That's terrible. Lukas, when I had the sickness, I didn't think I could get any worse, but Radar's case?"

"I know," I utter, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Why is he weakening so fast? Surely the hospital's given him more treatment."

"They're trying. But they're experiencing shortages of healing potions. He's had three doses already, which slowed down the sickness."

"Ridiculous. I really hope he gets better."

Over the phone, a fellow miner's bellow rebounds. "Below! Below!" A devastating metallic crash follows, and I cringe.

Petra takes it as her cue. "Lukas, I gotta go, but I'll talk soon. Oh, and let me know how everything goes."