(07) white lie revelations

In the Ayase family, no one is buried

In the Ayase family, no one is buried. They are all cremated and their ashes scattered in the nearest mountain, returning them to where they came from. While there is a family grave, it was completely empty. Only a large gravestone marked the area, carrying the names, birth and death dates of members from the years gone past. There was a new addition there, added yesterday.

The name of the former clan head, Akihito Ayase.

The name of Hitomi's father.

Hitomi stared at the gravestone, and the black marble and the gold letters. There was very little space left on it, not that it was needed any longer. When Hitomi died, her name would be the last one that would ever be written on it. The Ayase clan would eventually die with her.

She took in a deep breath, releasing it a second later.

"Goodbye father."

*

Shoko was waiting for her outside her room. Her eyes were not filled with pity and for that Hitomi was grateful. She wasn't sure if she'd handle it well, seeing her friend pitying her.

The second Hitomi walked up to her, Shoko put her arms around her and pulled her into a warm, tight hug. Hitomi hugged her back, equally as tight. She sniffled, letting a few tears drop on Shoko's shoulder. After a few moments had passed, she stepped away, smiling weakly at her friend.

"I wish you could use the Reverse Cursed Technique on grief," Hitomi joked, rubbing the non-existent dust off her hands. "It would make me feel so much better."

"You know, I would love to," Shoko had a very careful smile on her face, as though she was trying to be wary of what she was saying. "But I don't think it would ever be a good idea."

"I know," Hitomi answered, head pressed onto the door of her room. "Listen, I wanted to say something."

"Yeah, what is it?"

"If the boys still pester you, just tell them, okay? I don't have the strength to keep it a secret anymore."

"You sure?"