(03) a child in a cruel world

"I can't believe Yaga-sensei decided it was a good idea to send us on a mission together

"I can't believe Yaga-sensei decided it was a good idea to send us on a mission together."

"You and me both, sweets," Gojo replied, twirling around his sunglasses. "You're no fun on missions."

Hitomi rolled her eyes. The mission was...well, she liked to think of it as simple, but it really wasn't. There was a grade 1 curse haunting an abandoned, dilapidated building behind an old hospital and reports from the assistants said the victims of this curse had mostly been young children, who all experienced severe nightmares. Children, she thought, just a few years younger than them and completely in the unknown about the monsters lurking in the shadows. Children, she hoped, who would not be left tainted by this incident.

It was sunset when they finally arrived at the building. The sky was painted in hues of orange, red and yellow and far off into the distance, the sun was slowly retreating.

"Do we need a curtain? I don't see anybody," Hitomi asked, scanning their settings. There was no one around here, not one person in sight. But there was something in the air, something far darker; a clear indication of the cursed energy of the curse they were hunting.

"Just drop one, if you want," Gojo answered with a shrug. "Don't think we need one though."

"I guess."

They stepped inside, only to step into complete darkness. It was like the whole world in front of them had been painted with black ink. Hitomi could barely see a thing. Gojo, with his Six Eyes, could definitely see everything. But at the same time, she couldn't help but wonder...what was so appealing about this place? Why would children want to come here and play?

"I don't get it though," Hitomi said out loud as she pulled out a small torch from her pocket. Turning it on, she shone the light onto Gojo's torso, allowing her to see the silhouette of her mission partner. "Why would these children want to come here? What's so appealing about playing in sheer darkness? There's not even a little light in this place."

Even in this darkness, Gojo's bright, cerulean blue eyes were visible and almost shining. "The mystery, duh," he said, like it was the most obvious thing. "Every kid has explored some sort of abandoned place or the other. The mystery of it all just makes it fun. And sometimes, you could even find cool stuff. Have you never gone exploring before?"