(02) hate is (not) the first choice

Hate was not an emotion Hitomi liked to tap into

Hate was not an emotion Hitomi liked to tap into. It was among the many negative emotions that led to the formation and creation of the curses.

But each time she took a step into her father's hospital room, all she could feel was pure, burning rage. Once upon a time, she had loved her father. Once upon a time. Now, she thought he deserved to be cursed. It served him right, for forcing Izuki's soul on a seven year old girl.

The hospital room was small, filled with loud beeping machines. Her father lay awake on his bed, reading the newspaper his nurses had brought him. His dark hair was completely littered with grey, his eyes almost unfocused as he scanned through the paper. Whatever curse he was afflicted with was making him age faster, because as Hitomi looked at him, he appeared to be twenty years older than he actually was.

'Izuki, come,' Hitomi silently reached out to the depths of her soul. 'You wanted to stay out, right?'

'Oh, bless your heart,' Izuki spoke in her mind. He sounded relieved and maybe even a little gleeful. 'I was getting really bored just being stuck inside. Oh wait! Can I greet your father? I want to make fun of him.'

'Go on,' Hitomi just motioned towards the hospital bed from where she was sitting. 'Do what you want. You have my full blessing.'

She could feel Izuki nearly glowing with happiness. She raised her right hand and rolled up the sleeve of her white shirt. Circular, red markings started to appear on her skin and a scarlet colored mist arose from those markings.

'Hello, Ayasaki,' Izuki greeted with amusement, his voice echoing from the mist. 'Having fun reading the newspaper, I see.'

"It's Ayase Akihito," Her father answered, closing the newspaper and staring at the scarlet mist surrounding Hitomi's arm. "Don't call me by the old name."

'Well, someone's offended,' Izuki spoke with glee. 'Learn to take a joke, dear old Akihito. And besides, even if you don't go by that name, you still belong to the clan.'

"You do not joke," Akihito said, just as he stared at Hitomi. "But I'm guessing you've learnt to be lighthearted from my daughter."

'Yeah...you were a truly boring soul to stay in. I like your daughter more.'

"Only a boring old soul would force a seven year old girl to take on the power of an ancient, god-like sorcerer, am I right?" Hitomi spoke sarcastically. "Dear old father should feel blessed I'm not using Izuki on him."

'Yeah, at least Hitomi has a bigger soul than you, Akihito. And we are more compatible,' Izuki spoke, as the scarlet mist glowed bright. 'And Hitomi has a cursed technique which is ten times stronger than yours.'

"The girls in the family always tended to be more powerful," Akihito spoke, staring into Hitomi's magenta eyes. Once his eyes had been of the same color, but when the curse had struck his body, the color had turned to a grey, even duller than the ceiling of her dorm room.