Chapter 6

"I know what must be done."

Jez and the five temple guards seated at the table all put down their spoons and mugs and looked at Musara. Tavin put down the pot of porridge and ladle, quickly wiping his hands on the apron tied over his uniform, and looked over to the high priestess. An expectant silence filled the air as all seven people waited for the priestess to speak.

"We must set out," Musara said. "We've hidden within the confines of this temple long enough. The people are hurting. We may not be able to stop their pain or solve this crisis, but we can be there with them. We can offer what we have."

"What we have?" the grizzled captain of the temple guards demanded. "What we have, priestess, is a pathetic remnant. We have six guards, one acolyte-turned-high priestess, and one itinerant healer. What they need is for the mountain to close its flaming mouth. What they need is for the sickness that plagues the streets to leave." He gestured as he spoke, one hand catching on a mug and spilling its contents. Tavin hurried to sop up the mess while the captain finished, "What is it you think we can give?"

"I... can heal," Jez spoke up quietly, staring into her bowl. "I... can't heal everyone, but... I'd like to heal all those I can."

"I, and all of us, know basic wound tending," Tavin added. He sat down at the table with his own bowl of porridge and steaming mug. "We can at least offer comfort to those injured, even if we can't heal them."

"We have faith," Musara said. "We have hope. Sometimes, to lighten the dark, all it takes is a spark... Messor Vitavi will guide us."

"Will he?" the captain demanded.

"Yes, of course," Musara replied. "Messor Vitavi will never abandon us. He is with us, even now."

"Is he?" the captain retorted.

"Captain," Tavin gasped.

"I held my wife in my arms as she died, burned to her core from the embers thrown from the mountain during the first explosion, and still I served. I buried my son beside her, after I watched him wither away from the sickness, and I still returned here." The captain looked around the table, staring hard into the faces of those who dared meet his gaze. "I saw so many of us die when the people attacked this very temple, then watched helplessly as they stole away with as many priests and priestesses as they could. I buried their victims' remains, after they found out those they'd abducted had no powers of healing. And I still remained." The captain looked over at Musara, eyes hard with unspent anger. "Messor Vitavi has abandoned us."

"That's... not true..." Musara began slowly, taken aback by the captain's words.

"No? Then tell me one instance." The captain held up one finger, eyes sweeping the table. "Just one. Of how he has made himself known since the mountain exploded and the sickness came."

Tavin spoke up, "The night Lord Delven--"

The captain slammed his palm on the table, cutting off the younger guard. "Lord Delven! Enough with the ashes of Lord Delven! Fine. Maybe Messor Vitavi struck him down; killed our leader when the city needs him most. So, Messor Vitavi defends his own altar. What has he done to defend us?"

Everyone sat in silence, the other guards exchanging looks and avoiding the gaze of the angry captain. Jez bit her lip, clasping her hands tightly together in her lap.

"Captain," Musara began, voice calm.

"No," the captain cut her off. "I dedicated my life to serving this place. And what good has it done?" He stood, throwing his napkin down onto the table, as he snarled, "Nothing. Messor Vitavi clearly doesn't need us. Never has, never will. And now he has left us to die."

"Captain," Musara said again as the captain turned on his heel and marched out the door.

Tavin rose and hurried after him. His voice could be heard echoing down the stone corridor, "Captain Lorest! Wait!"

The other guards fidgeted nervously, exchanging looks and glancing at the doorway.

"Should we... go after him?" one of the guards asked.

Musara swallowed thickly, fighting back tears. She shook her head.

"Some will leave," Jez said quietly. "It is the way of things, in times of trouble. When we should cling to him most, we find it hardest to hold on."

Musara silently cried, tears mingling with the porridge in her bowl, turning each bite salty and bitter.

The meal continued in silence.

"Are you sure this is wise, priestess?" Tavin asked as Musara and Jez walked up, both carrying packs. "You know what happened to the others..."

Musara nodded as she set her pack on the stone floor. "It is well past time we went out to the people, Tavin." She looked around the group, eyes flicking over each of the assembled three guards. "Where's—"

"They left, priestess," Tavin interrupted. "After breakfast. They decided their service was done."

Musara nodded, lips in a tight line as she looked to the floor. "I see," she murmured. Slowly, she raised her head and regarded the three remaining guards. "All of you are free to depart, as well. You may return to your homes, or even stay here, if you like. I will not force you to come with me."

"I will follow you, priestess," Tavin replied quickly. "When I joined the guard here, I swore to do Messor Vitavi's will. I believe he wants me with you."

Musara nodded tiredly, then turned her gaze to the other two guards. "Are you going to leave, as well?"

After exchanging glances, one spoke, "Of course we're coming with you, priestess. Everywhere around us is death; Messor Vitavi is life, and he's with you."

"And so is the healer," the other guard added.

"Where are we going?" Tavin asked. "You never finished telling us your plan."

"My plan?" Musara asked. After a paused, she smiled ruefully and shook her head. "No. Not my plan, Tavin. Messor Vitavi's."

"So... he did speak to you?" one of the guards asked.

Musara nodded. "We must go out among the people. Our goals are twofold. One: we will help those we can, and offer comfort as best we may. Some may yet return to Messor Vitavi's fold before things get worse." Musara sighed, closing her eyes briefly before she looked at the small group, looking each person in the eye as she finished, "Two: to finally quell the mountain's fires and banish the plague to save the people, we must find the One Who Must Die."