Chapter 62

May 2018

Spencer and Calum were awkward after their last kiss, though it only lasted a few days. They got back to their normal routine fairly quickly, the blond even attempting to help the bassist write some new music. It wasn't going great. She could never play, and she thought she had the worst voice of the entire friend group, but Calum appreciated the help more than anything.

Ashton ended up in Australia at the same time Luke brought Paige home to meet the rest of the family. They all Facetimed while the small group of three was back home, making sure to let everyone say hi to the families. Liz was happy to see Spencer, even if it was just through a screen, and beyond happy to see her son so smitten for the girl he brought home with him.

Spencer and Ashton had definitely grown apart since everything happened, and as much as they both hated it, they wanted to give each other space. Time to figure out what they wanted, time to realize what they needed. But sitting on the couch with Calum, watching him play a video game, his phone started vibrating with a FaceTime from Ashton.

"Ashton is calling." She mumbled, grabbing the phone and handing it to him. Upon pausing the game and answering the phone with only himself in the frame of the camera, he smiled seeing his best friend with a guitar around his body.

"What's up, Irwin?" The tanned boy chuckled, raising his eyebrows. "We just talked like seven or eight hours ago."

"Listen, that song I was trying to write before I left." Ashton paused. "I figured it out."

"Prove it. Play it for me." Calum rolled his eyes, watching as his friend moved back and adjusted the guitar.

"It's a little rough but yeah." The oldest smiled, then after a few moments of silence, started playing what would eventually be known as Lover of Mine.

Part way through, Spencer pushed herself up against her friend, wanting to watch and listen as well. Then after a few moments and a double take at the phone, Ashton stopped playing and walked back over.

"Is that a blonde head of hair I see?" He laughed, shaking his head and looking down.

"Beautiful song, Ashton." She smiled, giving him a small wave. "How's Australia?"

"Beautiful. As always." Calum handed her the phone as their friend answered, heading to the kitchen to get a snack. "Hey while I have you–" he paused, taking a moment to set the guitar down gently. "Hey mom! You'll never guess who I have on the phone right now!"

"You're mom?" Spencer whispered, unable to help the huge smile that overtook her features. After a few moments of watching Ashton walk through the house she used to know so well when they were kids, his mother was suddenly in the frame with him.

"Oh my goodness, Spencer. Look at you." She smiled, admiring the short blonde through the phone, doing her best not to let her emotions get the best of her. But Spencer was already failing, feeling the tears sting her eyes almost instantly.

"Hi Anne, it's so good to see you." The blonde whispered, biting at her lip.

"Oh, Ashton has been showing me pictures of everyone but I can't believe I'm actually speaking to you right now. How have you been?"

"Been better and been worse." The young girl joked, shrugging her shoulders. "Living life and taking things as they come. I'm happy." A quiet sigh. "How are you? How's Harry and Lauren?"

"We're all doing just fine." The woman sighed happily, watching the blonde, glancing at her son who was watching the screen so intently. Who was watching the blonde with that same look he had all those years ago. "Next time Ash visits he better tell me that you're coming too."