Chapter 15

The morning air brushed against his pale white skin as he walked, Lui beside him. The narrow stone path leading to the town was bare save for the early mothers walking towards the clear stream with baskets of dirty clothes at their hips. They bowed at Lui with a cheerful greeting before taking on their way, the White Tyrant nodded, a hint of a smile spread across his lips. They didn't look at him, just at Lui as if he was a ghost drifting by their lives.

The town was waking up, the call of the vendors broke the still echo of silence. Kids ran along with books tucked under their arms towards a tall building. They never failed to stop and show their respect to Lui who mixed in with the crowd with practised ease. But there was unease. Glances from the corner of their eyes, tightened knuckles as he passed by. Lui's presence with him was a veil of protection. None said a word against him, not an insult thrown across his way. Shu unconsciously stepped closer to Lui as he ducked into a homely shop.

Shu blinked as the sweet savoury smell welcomed him. He stared at the crisp brown fresh bread on the front counter, citizens in lines to grab their breakfast before work. A woman was handing out the orders behind the counter, her dark hair bouncing as she worked, talking with every single person with a smile on her face. "That's Valt's mother, the former queen."

Shu broke his gaze from the woman to Lui and hissed an answer at him, "What's a former queen doing in a..." he gestured, "A bakery?"

Lui smiled, "You'll see." He led them towards the inner area of the bakery where tables were set. Several of the villagers were having their fill, dipping the rich crusty brown bread on golden honey. Shu averted his gaze to the floor. "Aunt Chiraru," Lui called as the queen walked over, rubbing her hands on a white towel. Shu looked over to the counter to see a pink haired, equally energetic girl taking over the orders.

"Good morning, Lui." She then smiled at Shu. "You must be Shu Kurenai. Valt dropped by yesterday and raved how amazing you are."

Shu flushed, bowing deeply. "Nice to meet you, your highness."

She waved her hands with a chuckle, "I gave up on that title long ago. Call me Chiraru. I hope you boys haven't had breakfast yet."

Lui shook his head, "Well, that's what we're here for. And it's free."

Chiraru ushered them towards a corner table, " I ought to charge you for a meal one day."

"You should!" Another voice said, joining them at the table. It was Valt, wearing a dusty apron and his hands covered in green mittens. "Hello Shu! How have you been adjusting?"

Shu stared at him openly, baffled at his appearance. Were all the royal family bakers in Elysia? Valt waved his hands in front of his face. "Shuuu."

Shu blinked, "Yes. Yes, I'm fine."

"You're scaring the customers!" A young boy, probably the age of Fubuki came in with his hands on his hips.

Valt grinned sheepishly, "This is my younger brother, Tokonatsu," He pointed over to the girl by the counter. "That's my sister Nika."

Shu nodded, uncertain when Chiraru brought a steaming plate of bread into their table. Another brought bowls filled with honey and milk. The two jugs held fresh lemon tea, the scent strong against his sensitive senses. "Enjoy the meal, you two. Valt, there's work in the kitchen."

"Coming," Valt said, waving at them as he walked out of the room. The rest of the customers had turned back to their meals.

Shu stared at the food on the table. In Solasta, most of the delicacies such as bread, honey were for aristocrats. It brought bitter memories of the past. His mother's hand feeding him, he cocooned in her embrace. All before he was disowned by his father.