ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟷𝟹

Date: November 1, XXXX
Time: 2:38 p.m.
Location: Tokyo Police Department

The squeaky clean floors and hum of the heater inside the Tokyo Police Department (TPD) is an instant relief to the group of heroes-in-training who had been sitting on a cold concrete rooftop since before five in the morning. The smell of coffee and bustle of officers and secretaries as files are transported from one room to another fill their senses as they shed their coats and soak in the warmth. Finally not feeling like his lungs are being stabbed by tiny needles, Bakugo takes in a deep breath to relax his tense muscles.

Energy buzzes through the room like static, all officers hard at work to complete their assigned tasks. As soon as the group had walked in, half a dozen uniformed policemen had rushed forward to take the drug dealers and clients off their hands and began processing them. The boys' eyes can't keep up as they try to track the movements of any single officer who works determinedly and without distraction. Everyone has a place in the department and does their job to the best of their abilities to keep the TPD functioning like a well-oiled machine.

Sparkles glitter around Midoriya's head as he watches the officers in action with excitement lighting every feature on his freckled face. The other boys gaze about the room with an equal amount of amazement, but the lines on their faces remain smooth and unbothered. Only their eyes sparkle at how the department functions with so few words exchanged and determination filling every officer's stance. As they stand near the entrance, quickly getting the feeling they're in the way as multiple policemen have to apologize and push past them, several pairs of eyes hone in on the three heroes-in-training, past No. 1 Hero, and current No. 1 Hero.

Toshinori is quick to shoo the group away from the doors and to the front desk, putting in a word with the secretary to see if Tsukauchi is free. But, to no one's surprise, the schedule of the head of the Tokyo police department is booked until later in the afternoon. With no other choice to pass the time, they plop themselves into the cushioned chairs in the tiny seating area situated a little too close to the front doors that constantly let out the warm air and chill their bones.

A conversation sparks between the past Symbol of Peace, his successor, and his successor's half and half boyfriend. They chat among themselves, keeping their voices low as to not disrupt the hardworking individuals around them. Every moment that passes, new criminals are escorted in and out of doors, transferred from one sector to another, and prepared to be judged by the justice system that restores order to the country. While the pro heroes get most of the credit and fame for protecting the world from villains, the police work in the background to keep the whole system running. None of it would be possible without them.

The world keeps turning and crashing forward without a moment's pause as the group of three discusses their hero training and progression since their first year at UA. Endeavor left to find the officer in charge of a case he's been working on, leaving the the upcoming heroes with their teacher and idol. Toshinori asks for all of the details from their stakeout mission, praising the boys once again after they finish telling the story about how they managed to capture the drug dealers. The blond male smiles proudly at the trio as Midoriya shifts the conversation to an article he saw about Best Jeanist as he scrolls through his phone and proudly shows off the pictures taken during the fight. Watching his students interact, smile, and getting to see Bakugo become his lively self to jump in to complain about the No. 3 Hero, Toshinori can't help but think of when the little girl he considers his own was still in training like these three. Of course, she was much younger than them at the time, but the memories still send a pang to his heart.

He misses her everyday.

As if the world could feel the loneliness taking hold of his heart, wrapping around the muscle like a cold, wet blanket mimicking protection while slowly sapping away at his strength, a distant conversation catches Toshinori's attention from across the room. The trio of students don't notice as their teacher's attention shifts from them, to a pair of officers talking at the front desk. One holds a large stack of files in hand, thick with papers full of information on whatever criminal or case is being discussed, while the other's face turns somber as he nods along to the former's words.