chapter 20

Qi Ruolan has never seen anyone so uninterested in her entire 20 years of life, the emperor didn't sound or seem interested.

Wei Qing looked at the empress, "what do you think my empress?" he smiled.

The Empress didn't turn to him, he kept looking down at her then asked Wei Qing curiously.

"Did you not want her a part of your harem? She is beautiful" he said formally.

"No, her face is pretty but something tells me I'd get a Bitter taste in my mouth if I stay around her," Wei Qing chuckled.

Qi Ruolan couldn't believe how casually the emperor spoke of her as if she was nothing special. "As expected of his imperial majesty you don't value the lives of others" she mocked.

The servants grasped, "your highness!" 

The servants feared for the princess and themselves of what the emperor might do.

Wei Qing's attention was caught and so he smiled, "you make it sound as if all lives value the same" 

She stood firm looking into his eyes, "all lives value the same" 

"Heh" Wei Qing soon burst out laughing, "HAHAHAHA" 

Noble Consort Li Hua looked at her, she is so pretty yet so foolish or maybe just naive.

"Tell me something, if you were to be attacked whose life would these guards risk to save?" He smiled confidently at him.

Wei Qing rested his elbow on the chair handle then supported his cheek with his hand. 

He always felt annoyed by that saying, "all lives are the same" or "all lives value the same" or "all lives are equal" . Both in the modern and ancient times that is proven to be very untrue and it's truly a saying only used to hide from the truth of reality that not everyone's equal.

Qi Ruolan snarled, "what is that supposed to mean?" 

"If I kill your servant right there do you think it'd have the same impact if I killed you?" Wei Qing asked with a malicious grin.

Qi Ruolan felt uncomfortable, "that proves no-" 

"It most definitely proves something, if all lives value the same there wouldn't be leadership or rankings, there wouldn't be places and roles for people to play, there wouldn't be any of what you enjoy being a princess. Knowledge, power, wisdom, etc… it's what divides every life there is. No, not every life values the same, that's just a flawed belief. I am emperor because I rule with power. You are a princess because you're the daughter of a king. She is a maid because she cannot afford a luxurious life. Just like money all life has values but it doesn't value the same, a ruler is meant to lead, a servant is meant to serve and a soldier is meant to fight. If all lives were equal then there wouldn't need to be for anyone to die for anyone.

There wouldn't be a need for us to divide the roles we play in this world, but if you still feel the same princess. Then remove your crown and walk as a servant" Wei Qing mocks 

Qi Ruolan felt infuriated, he looked at the servant, "y-you… so are you saying that the servants life doesn't matter, what about commoners?"

"Of course their lives matter, I need a dynasty to run, don't I? And I didn't say their lives didn't matter, I said it doesn't value the same. Citizens' values are determined in the mass the larger the number the more it's worth" Wei Qing said.

Qi Ruolan was speechless; she looked to the servants, unable to speak. Wei Qing sighed, getting up, "we're done here, as for disrespecting the emperor, have her kneel outside in the courtyard for a day, after that send her home. You are a princess, you should know how to compose yourself in front of the imperial blood, I'm very disappointed with your father" he said.

Wei Qing gently to the empress's hand, he looked to the noble Consort Li Hua, "I believe Anyone will be having tea with us would you like to join?" He asked.

"Why of course your imperial majesty" she smiled walking one step behind.

They all left the throne room heading to the 6th princess' palace around the garden. The garden was very beautiful; it was as expected of the child of the empress. They looked at the wooden gazebo above crystal lake where the young princess was with her two older brothers 1rst prince Wei Chao and 2nd prince Wei Ding Xiang. 

As she looked up and saw them an innocent smile plastered across her face, "mother, father!" 

A/n

is Wei Qing wrong about what he said to princess Qi Ruolan?